1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No organizations that fit the bill

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by jupiter, Oct 2, 2014.

1. jupiter

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I've been looking into any local support groups. And they are all about pride events and civil liberty but nothing that really deals with coming out support. I'm sort of at a loss that I can't find anything in such a liberal city like portland or. There was one that had promise but their website is no longer up. :frowning2: sad face....

2. TheStormInside

I have the same exact problem. I live in a pretty liberal city too, and there are many support groups, but they are all too specific and none of them are for general LGBT adults or adult women. I even emailed the LGBT center website (which unfortunately, there is no actual LGBT center, it's still being put together by this group) to ask, and they confirmed there's nothing really in my realm. They suggested I try checking out PFLAG, but I'm uncertain about that, not sure if I'd fit in. They also suggested trying to connect with another gay person or seek an LGBT therapist. I'm already in therapy, the issue is not that.. I kind of want to dip my toe into the LGBT community in a safe space. There are some meetup groups I may give a look once I'm out to my friends, but since I'm still closeted I don't feel comfortable joining up with those at the moment, either.

3. Doudline

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You should try contacting these groups to get information about other organizations in your area that could help with your coming out. The LGBT world is usually close-knit, so everyone knows everyone in a limited geographical area.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Welcome to Empty Closets! As Doudline mentioned, within the LGBT community, depending on the geographic area, usually people will know each other or will know of somebody who could provide some information or can hold the answer(s). What I would suggest is trying to contact the organizers of some of the pride events, and they might be able to provide you with some information.

5. jupiter

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks
    I will try that

6. Snever2late

As strange as this may be, I had absolutely no luck looking online. I kept getting redirected to PFLAG, which is not really what I was interested on. However, I started looking at events calendars in my local newspaper, and found a weekly support group (it appears to be pretty general...I haven't gone yet). Perhaps if you find a local therapist that specializes in LGBT issues and contact them, they might be associated with or aware of a local support group?