1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression & Anxiety treatment...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bornthiswaybby, Oct 2, 2014.

1. bornthiswaybby

Hello,

I've begun the path to recovery regarding underlying issues that have recently resurfaced with my mental wellness. I was bullied all junior high and of course hiding your sexuality takes a toll and my self esteem is unbelievably low.

Recently I've realized that these issues, though masked for a while by pushing myself to the limit with remaining busy, are still here and coming back with a vengeance.

My doctor told me I may need a combination of therapy and medication.

My issue here is... I've been told that medication is bad and horrible and all this. I know that therapy is necessary and I'm definitely going through with it because it's time for me to live happily and comfortably and it's time for me to treat my friends and family with the respect they deserve (I take a lot out on them)...

I've been having mental breakdowns multiple times a week because of my low mood and I've had thoughts of death, nothing planned though.

I hesitate to take medication because of the many side effects and conspiracies related to them, but at the same time I feel like I may need them temporarily until therapy has done its job.

What should I do in your opinion? I don't really want to take medication but I also don't want to become really suicidal.

2. CrazyAwkward

I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject, but I can understand why you'd be hesitant. Have you started seeing a therapist yet? If not are you going to start seeing one soon? Maybe you could wait until your first meeting and get their opinion.

3. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

bornthiswaybby,

I wish you good luck with your recovery. Therapy should really help. :slight_smile: The meds might have side effects, but if they can make you feel better, it's worth a try. Watch your down moods, don't let them take control. Come find me, if you feel down. I will help, I promise. I was diagnosed BiPolar when I was 15. Look at my age now. :slight_smile: This is beatable, even the worst downs are survivable. I know. (*hug*)

Seriously now, when you get down, ask for help. Everypony here will help you, and your girl Starfleet is always here. :slight_smile:

4. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Well, medications have been known to make it worse, but also they can work.

Its possible to get through it, without medication. But it won't be easy.

Goodluck with you're decision

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It's great that you have been able to talk about having been bullied and that you will start with therapy. I am sure it will make a difference.

When it comes to the medication, before making a decision as to whether to take them or now, it would be worthwhile to speak with your doctor about your concerns on the potential side effects - if you haven't done so yet. There is a reason why your doctor prescribed the medication but you of course have the right to get all of the information on its side effects and his/her reasoning for prescribing them.

Have you spoken with your doctor about your concerns and/or alternatives?

6. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I decided to go through treatment without meds. I told my dr it was because of the side effects but it was also because I couldn't stand how the whole experience, the meds and therapy, was changing me. As bad as the depression was, I saw it as part of me and I thought I'd end up with some kind of robot brain if it wasn't there anymore. But that was all one big illusion. I haven't been seriously depressed in a very long time and I can now finally see depression for what it really is. I have a disease that needs treatment to keep it under control. It's as simple as that. If I had it to do over again I think I would have taken the meds and just dealt with the side effects. The mood swings were constantly interrupting my therapy and it would have all gone much smoother if I had taken the meds and not had that getting in the way. Good luck to you, I wish you a fast path to a better life. I think you can do it without the meds providing you're other treatment is good but if you don't take them I'll bet you end up like me, regretting it down the road.

7. thekillingmoon

Meds are not the solution to all your problems, but they could help you deal with things better. As for side effects, as long as you keep taking your prescribed dose and don't skip a day, you shouldn't get bad side effects. Usually side affects are a result of your body getting used to the meds in the beginning or when you're trying to go off them. Other than that it should be fine. If it's not discuss it with therapist as soon as possible, maybe the dose you're taking isn't right for you or maybe you need to try a different medication.

8. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People react differently to prescribed medications, so just because some people have an adverse reaction to a certain drug it doesn't mean you will too. I have a bad reaction to Ibuprofen and I know a few others who have too, but I'm not going to suggest it's a bad drug for other people to use. For many it's a very effective painkiller. The same logic applies to drugs that are used to treat mental health conditions.

If you find that you are having serious problems with a prescribed medication talk to your doctor immediately. He/she will be able to explore alternatives that may suit you better.

9. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you are having a shitty time right now, meds may offer at least a short term relief to get you on a better footing - so that you can deal with longer term issues which may include therapy and making some life decisions that will empower you? Do discuss any aspects with your doctor and don't feel you have to suffer alone.

10. anann

Everyone experiences medication differently but I can tell you a little bit about mine and what I learned.

I went on medication in early 2011. Since then I have been on a number of different medications and doses, but I am doing so much better than I was. I don't come home in tears everyday, I don't wish I was dead, and I now go to school and take care of myself unlike before I was on medication. That said, medication isn't something that will 'cure' you immediately. It took me 2 years to get onto the regimen I am on now, although it would have happened more quickly if I had changed doctors more quickly. I would make sure the doctor who is prescribing the medication is someone who will listen to you and your concerns and questions and work with you to help you feel better. My first psychiatrist didn't hear my concerns and wouldn't make changes. When I moved and got a new doctor, I found someone who listened to what I said and took my concerns seriously and this is when I started to make progress.

The side effects for me were a problem for me. The headaches got better over time, but I got nauseous when I ate on that first medication and that was a big problem for me. When I switched things started to get better. Having a doctor that took my concerns seriously made a huge difference. And even if your doctor prescribes medication, you don't have to take it, just don't change things without talking to your doctor because that causes more problems (withdrawal is absolutely no fun). And ask why as much as you can.

The medication didn't change who I was, it just dulls the symptoms. Therapy has been necessary for me to figure out what the underlying problems are and how to deal with them. I have OCD and it is very clear to me that my choice of career has a basis in my obsessions. I still like the same things as before and my career still interests me but loosing that was a fear of mine. I feel like I'm finally at the point where maybe I can start decreasing my medication in hopes of eventually getting off most of it.

My advice is to think about it carefully, find a good doctor, and advocate for yourself. Medication isn't good or bad, but has to be used carefully and taken seriously.

11. Hidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I know exactly how you are feeling. I suffered from serious depression and anxiety issues. At the time, I thought they were due to the rough life I had. I never even considered they were linked to my bisexuality.

It was starting to have major effects on my life, so I finally went to see a therapist. She wanted to put my on medication, but I said I was uncomfortable with that and so she never brought it up again. Instead we went through CBT and anger management. This helped me a lot, and after I stopped seeing her I continued meditating since the mechanism is quite similar to CBT. I learned how to get control of myself before I fell down the terrible spirals and believed I was better.

But I would still get the breakdowns. I thought it was just taking time to get all the way better. Yesterday I realized there was still a huge issue I hadn't resolved, and it's kind of absolutely destroying me right now. I know our situations aren't identical or anything, but I really understand how you feel right now.

I posted the whole story for two reasons. The first is to tell you that my experience with anxiety and depression says that seeing a therapist can help, and its acceptable to try non-medical options before trying medication. The other was to say you have an ally right now, because I am going through something similar.

12. enigma 25

It can be a bit tricky with regards to medication since it affects everyone differently and can also take awhile to find the right cocktail of meds.

I would suggest seeing a Psychologist before going the Psychiatric route though (speaking from personal experience here).

While there is a bit of a ''pop a pill'' culture around these days,its often tricky to know how it will affect the individual and when it is necessary,so I think a therapist is a good idea as a start.Its better to try and sort out how much of what you are going through is linked to the situation and how much is chemical related right from the start,so seeing a therapist can help with that.

It may take awhile to find the right therapist for you,so take your time on that and do not hesitate to speak up if you feel that you might need a change.

Just so you know,if you ever need someone to chat to,or things get rough,feel free to leave a wall post.Sometimes it helps to talk to people that have gone through (or are going through) similar feelings.

13. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Meds helped me a lot I currently take paxil, Zoloft didnt work for me at all.