1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia? Uni? Making friends :S

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by IwillBeStrong, Oct 4, 2014.

1. IwillBeStrong

I've got a major problem guys. I've just started at Uni and was expecting to get out of my closet slowly. It seems its harder for me than I thought. Everytime I make friends I always ask myself if they are homophobic or not and if I should get any hints that they are I'll immidietly get a feeling to stop that friendship even though they may be very nice and aswesome people in any other sense. I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do. Because of this I automatically assume that almost 99% of muslim people, or any religious people, and Indian people (as I'm indian) is actually homophobic. I dont know what to do about this? I think its kinda sad that I cant be friends with these kind of people without knowing whether or not they're homophobic.
    I hope all of this makes sense to you and that anybody could give me advice on how to deal with this.

Thanks guys,
    IwillBeStrong

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know how you feel I just started high school and there's a lot of Mormons and a lot of them are homophobic conservative republicans. And there's a lot of them there so like its hard to find people who are ok with it bc I feel there aren't many. I just try to keep a low profile I mean 3,200 kids go to my school so it's pretty big.

3. jezebel

i can really relate to this as well. i feel more this way based on the fact that i'm an atheist (who was a former devout christian) and as soon as i get any sense of someone being religious, i don't want anything to do with them as i assume that they're misogynistic and bigoted in numerous areas.
    i'm not sure if it's really a problem as i think there are fundamental things that two people need to agree on to have a deep and meaningful friendship, and acceptance of all sexual orientations is one of those things.
    i think it's okay for you to avoid relationships with people that you suspect of being homophobic, and instead, maybe you could try to be more proactive about making friendships with like-minded individuals. maybe your uni has some kind of social justice/equal rights/gender equality groups that you could join to meet people with the same mindset as you? or there might be online groups you could join to meet people in your area who are also like-minded.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This.