1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it wrong of me?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Andstillimhere7, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    one thing that has been in my head over a long period of time is swearing. Is it wrong of me to think bad of those who swear even when I think swearing? I sometimes swear in my thoughts when I'm angry or do it as a regular basis, but I hate those who swear out loud. When someone swears casually and not angrily it makes me so mad because it burns my ears and I just want to push those people. I also swear casually in my head but I never swear in public or online. But it seems hypocritical of me to think that, in my mind it sounds like "shut the h*ll up and stop swearing" (never said that before btw). I do tolerate it but I still don't want to hear it. It's okay if you swear privately but I hate public swearers. My brother swears and I want to choke him for that, but in mind I'm like "go to h*ll b*tch". So is it wrong of me to think that way?

2. NatWheeled

Hmm, well it is kinda hypocritical.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not necessarily if this quote means you don't advise cursing out loud. I'm not really partial to it either because it can be very trashy. But that's not to say it doesn't have its place; it really does.

4. SeriousJack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Swearing isn't even a big deal anymore now-a-days, maybe you should work on your tolerance? Swearing actually releases endorfine in the brain and relieves stress, plus casual friendly swearing can be a way of bonding with others. I know for you it's rude and unacceptable, but society changes and and those who don't adapt to it are left behind. As long as you don't do it in front of children or as an aggressive way to hurt or offend someone, swearing should be fine. The words just lost their meaning by now, and honestly, it can be hilarious at times. Once my mother was trying to bake potatoes in the oven and she accidentally dropped one of them in a hole that goes inside the oven, making it impossible to take it out. She just looked at me and said , in a calm manner: "f***ing sh*t". I she only swears like once every 4 years and it was hilarious and we were both rofl. Just try to be less intolerant about it, and honestly, it is a little hypocritical of you to swear on your mind as an offense to others when they swear.

5. swimgood

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think thats very hypocritical...

In my opinion its only rude when its used with the intention to hurt someones feelings.
    Although if you think about it, swear words often don't even cut that deep...

6. thischick7

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    See, I am just the opposite of you. For me swear words are like sprinkles on a cupcake, but I never use profanity to insult people. For me words are just arbitrary groupings of letters until you attach a meaning to them. I don't really see the difference between saying "oh fooey", or "darn it", and saying d*mn it. It means the same thing. The point of language is to convey your thoughts to another human. The actual groupings of sounds that convey that message don't actually matter. It's the intention behind them that gives them meaning. I don't mean to be rude, but I think that judging other people for something that you think yourself on a daily basis is pretty silly. What about swear words threatens you so much? Are you afraid that if you use them other people will think you are trashy? Uneducated? Maybe that you might offend someone? Who cares? I mean sure there are situations in which you want to maintain some social decorum. You wouldn't want a bunch of teachers putting profanity into a spelling bee for example, but the occasional swear words that floats past your ears on a breeze I think is completely forgivable. And always remember that the person swearing was probably brought up that way, and has no idea that they are offending you, and wouldn't have said it otherwise. Also, there is some scientific research that indicates that people who use a lot of swear words are more trustworthy. Google it.

7. RainbowSocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think it's wrong or hypocritical at all.

Thoughts and actions are two different things. You're saying you get upset when people swear out loud, not when they swear in their head. If you said that you get upset when they swear in their head (Which how would you know? What are you a mind reader?), then THAT would be hypocritical.

I think a lot of things. Like "Man, I'd like to punch that guy in the face." That doesn't mean I'd actually punch him and that doesn't make me a hypocrite because I think punching someone in the face, even if they deserve it, is wrong. See the difference?

Unfortunately, you are not in the norm. There are very few people under the age of 9 that don't use swear words on a regular basis. I agree that excessive use is annoying and honestly makes people sound stupid. If you use "fu**" every other word, it makes you sound like you don't know any other words. It makes you sound like a moron. Just my opinion. But casual swearing has it's benefits. Saying "Oh golly gee" just doesn't have the same punch as saying "Oh sh*t."
    On another note, you don't have to use swear words to hurt someone or put someone down. Regular words can have the same effect if you use the right ones.

8. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you allow yourself to express frustration and anger by swearing internally then trying to deny someone the ability to do the exact same thing externally doesn't seem right to me. It is simply their way of communicating. It doesn't sound like they are trying to offend anyone. That said, I understand how it can make you uncomfortable. My best friend swears continuously and it took me years and years to get used to it. At first it scared me, then it frustrated me, but now I'm used to it and it doesn't matter any more. Perhaps you just need to acclimate yourself to it? I don't know.