1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relieving Stress

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ZenMusic, Oct 6, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

I have to dance on Tuesday as part of my Performing Arts course, and even when I was rehearsing in front of everyone, I was afraid I'd miss a step and was standing still sometimes, and the same is hhappening with my performance on Tuesday, except I obviously it hasn't happened yet. How can I calm myself down?

2. Northern guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meditation, in the form of simple breathing exercises can help calm you down, relieve stress, and aid concentration.

3. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree, breathing exercises (breath in 4 count, hold it 4 count, exhale 4 count) is one way I use to relax right before or during a stressful situation. Another thing is positive self-talk. Tell yourself that you are going to do well in the dance. Visualize the dance going perfectly in your head. It doesn't matter if you have doubts or worries, just visualize yourself doing as well as you would like. Scientifically, it has been proven that mentally going over a task does make you better at it so this will not be wasted effort. Another thing is to distract yourself from the worrying thoughts. Try to focus on something entirely unconnected to give your brain a rest from the anxiety. I hope some of those help. Good luck with your dance. :slight_smile:.

4. rahul2630

rahul2630 Guest

Dealing with stress and tension should begin from within you. External causes might be the trigger for them, but in most cases, your attitude and thoughts are the real causes.

You might not always be able to deal with external condition, but you can certainly teach yourself to change your attitude. With a change of attitude, stress and tension would disappear, irrespective of your external conditions.

5. Holly82

lots of vegetables, fruit, and water. no caffeine. Plenty of sleep. Eat turkey; it has a natural chemical in it that makes you sleepy and therefore more relaxed.

When you perform, your attitude is that these people are lucky to be able to see you dance. You've already proven yourself, now it's time to have fun. Technique is important, but it isn't everything.