1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to parents. They don't believe me

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by jeepchick506, Oct 8, 2014.

1. jeepchick506

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I grew up in Connecticut. I'm pretty manly according to just about everybody. If you were to get to know me, you may consider me a redneck in the way I handle things. Like, I can improvise etc.... I love my country and my flag. I love my car. All these factors lead my parents to saying that its just a phase. My mom specifically. She always refers to me in future tense as a man. Not as a person but as a man. She wants me to enlist and t\a couple weeks ago I was all for it. Now I officially know who I am and it will break my mom's heart. She always looks forward to my future. sure I'm capable of a lot, but none of it would be worth it to me if I do it as someone I'm not. My stepdad is leaning to my moms side. My Dad however, is 100% SUPPORTIVE!!! My mom though, I just need to get by her. My brother as well actually. I do not seem feminine in any way, but I know that I should be a woman. I like the feel of girls clothes. It just feels right. Every day its hard to get up knowing I'm still a guy added to the fact that my Mom ain't supportive. I don't know what else to say. If I need to give more info to be clear please tell me. If you can give an answer, please do. Just, what do I do?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Remember that they may not have had as much time to really think about this as you, so just keep up with the dialogue so they can understand your position. Try to share with them resources on other people in similar situations. I had one bisexual friend who only came out to her mom after she found a girlfriend. Otherwise, she feared she wouldn't be taken seriously. That's kind of my situation with my mom because I've never been with a girl (or guy).

3. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What are her views on trans people in general? Is she the kind of person who thinks they don't exist, or is she fine with it in general but just doesn't believe it when it's her own 'son'?

4. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm more concerned about you than your mom's opinion of your coming out. When you say you can "improvise" what exactly does that mean? I get the feeling you know yourself pretty well and I'm impressed at how you handle yourself on this issue, but I don't get the sense that this is about getting your mother to accept you. I get the feeling this is still about you accepting yourself. Maybe if you took it to the next level, brought home a guy you are dating to introduce him to mom for example. How do you think that would make you feel?

5. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)(*hug*)

6. jeepchick506

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    She's fine with it but doesn't believe its her own "son"