1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I drop my homophobic teacher's class?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ChameleonSoul, Oct 11, 2014.

1. ChameleonSoul

One of my teachers this year keeps making homophobic comments and it only seems to be getting worse. In the beginning of the year, I was able to brush off a lot of their comments, which were typically petty and stereotypical, but now they keep getting worse and more frequent. I'm starting to get to the point where I don't even think it's worth even putting up with this until the end of June and am thinking of just dropping their class. I don't need it to graduate as I've met all the requirements for graduation in the subject (it's a college class), and the most that I would lose is the $50 deposit I've put down for the credits so far. The only thing is that I would need to explain why I'm dropping the class (if I drop it) without coming out to anyone. This is the also the only teacher that teaches this class, so getting a transfer isn't an option. Should I drop the class or am I just overreacting? What should I use as an excuse if I do drop it? If anyone has ever been in this situation, I'd be thankful if you told me what you did.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you really don't need the class and wish to drop it, you can just say you didn't approve of the teacher's prejudicial comments. You don't have to be gay to be upset by intolerance.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

Isn't it against the rules for a teacher to do that? It might be different where I live, but once a teacher yelled at kids for participating in Day of Silence, and the teacher was almost fired

4. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its a shame you're not out of the closet because otherwise you could seriously kick this teachers ass.

How much longer is left of the class? If its not long, maybe you could try and ride it out? If I were you, I would just ask myself whether this class is important to me or not. If its even a little important, I would stay. Dont let that stupid teacher ruin your education - even if it is only in a small way.

What subject is it anyway? And, how do the homophobic comments come up?

5. Really

Sounds like a written complaint is in order. Document a few of the incidences; dates, quotes, situation, whatever you can think of.
    Explain what you've said here. The incidences are increasing and you're feeling more and more uncomfortable for anyone who might be affected by these insidious comments.
    Keep to the facts as you recall them to the best of your abilities and simply, your general concern for the atmosphere in the class. You can explain that your submitting this anonymously because you feel this is a problem for the class as a whole.
    You're in NYC, right? I would have thought that this wouldn't be tolerated for very long if the administration knew about it.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly, just report this teacher. Homophobic comments belong in no classroom, and you can't expect your classmates to step up to the plate, especially if they're straight.

7. ChameleonSoul

While I'd love to come out of the closet and rip my teacher a new one, it's just not an option. I forgot to include that this isn't the only homophobic teacher in my school. Even though I'm in New York, I actually live closer to the Canadian border. No one really cares about LGBT people where I live. There's a kind of unspoken rule that you stay in the closet and if you want to "go be gay" you don't make it public. Anyone that is out or is even perceived to LGBT is harassed not only by other students, but even some teachers and administrators, usually in the form of harsher punishments or being ignored when harassed or assaulted on school grounds (yes, I said assaulted). Even though I go to a public school and it's illegal to discriminate against sexual orientation or gender identity in my state in the public sector, it's easy to come up with any other excuse to discriminate against those that are out. Frankly, I'd transfer schools if I had the option and there were any LGBT-friendly ones nearby.

8. Really

Crap. Ok. One other thought. You said this was a college class. Is the teacher supplied by the college? Or teaching on their behalf? What if you sent the complaint to the college that is offering this course at your school. I wonder if they might take this more seriously than the high school administration.
    Failing that, if the crappy feeling you get from this class is impacting your work in other classes, you might want to seriously consider dropping it, if it won't affect your graduation or college entrance, etc.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Drop it and just say I don't need the credit as your excuse.
    Good luck :slight_smile:

10. Emotional love

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is so sad that someone that should be a role model is being a total idiot. Can you not speak to the teacher in the strictest confidence and explain how the comments are affecting your well being and studies. Here in the UK this teacher would probably lose his job and a lot of respect.

11. theflyingelf

Out Status:
    A few people
    Your location says you're in new York. If the university is also in new York, we have some very strong lgbtqiap+ laws against discrimination and prejudice. Look them up, it will help you a lot.

---------- Post added 12th Oct 2014 at 10:37 AM ----------

Discrimination agaisnt anyone is illegal in NY. You can go to jail for bullying.

---------- Post added 12th Oct 2014 at 10:39 AM ----------

I'd welcome you to come to my school, long island is extremely LGBTQIAP+ friendly. You're so close to graduation, so hang in there

12. ChameleonSoul

Hmm maybe going to the college administration would be a good idea. The program is through a state-funded school (won't name the specific college on here for confidentiality reasons), so it might be a good idea to go through them since discrimination is illegal in ALL of New York. If that doesn't work though, I'll just drop the class and come up with some sort of excuse to get out of it.

I honestly do wish that I could move to Long Island or drive north to Quebec. Frankly, I hate it where I live and I don't know if I'll make it until August when I go off to college before having a mental breakdown. Upstate and downstate New York are so different in their political views that they might as well become their own states. Aside from cities like Albany or Rochester, people are really anti-LGBT and border Bible Belt level insanity.

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say go through your high school and the college (if they have a nondiscrimination policy) and file a report on your teacher.

If other students are offended or uncomfortable by his statements as well, they could be reprimanded.

My former history teacher made a condescending remark towards the NAACP and African American people and he got reprimanded for it. You don't have to be out as gay to report homophobic bigotry.

#13 BryanM, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  14. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea I would just report the teacher. You shouldn't have to drop classes because of that.

15. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  16. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A teacher in university shouldn't be making remarks like those in the first place. Don't report him out of anger though, because you'll involve a lot more people and that's last resort. Talk to someone who has more authority and let them know whats going on and how you feel. Make sure that it'll be reported as anonymous, else it could make things even worse.

I'm sure your teacher is just being funny, and when it comes to jokes people can take it too far sometimes. Once he realizes that there's a gay individual in the class, there's no doubt that he'll think twice about jokes from then on.