1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do temporarily pass for male in dangerous areas

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jannekaan, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Jannekaan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey, so I've had some concerns about the future. I'll most likely be living on my own in a city for my studies, which means I will have to go outside alone a lot. Whenever I walk through a city at night I usually feel very vulnerable because I often see shady looking groups lurking about.
    The fact that I'm female-bodied doesn't help this issue at all. As sad as it is, girls are more likely to get harassed on the street than guys.
    This is why I would like to be able to temporarily pass as male so that I can go out and feel safe. Does anyone have any tips on passing or just staying safe in general?

2. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Wear a jumper, and a hoody on top, to make you look buff, and a hat to cover you're hair.

Don't have too many bags, walk with you're chest high. Don't look at their directions.

3. ThePrideInside4

Well, I think you should just either move somewhere safer, learn Taekwondo (Korean self-defense) to protect yourself, or buy peppermint spray. Or even better, get a gun permit and carry a gun with you.

But if you want to pass as a male, you could always bind your chest, wear men's clothes, cut your hair or put your hair up in a hat.

4. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, carry something that can obviously be used as a weapon if need be (umbrella, etc), because that can dissuade any people with ill intentions. At least, that's what a cop buddy told me. Stay safe.

5. DianaLives

You can try putting your hands in your pockets and tilt your torso side by side as you walk, maybe look at your cellphone. If youre concerned with getting mugged try keeping your stuff at your front pockets, wear a hoodie that covers them and put your hands on the front pockets of the hoodie, and always remember to have long steps and wear long pants.