1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any twins on this forum? I need someone who can relate!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Anongirl123, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Anongirl123

Any twins out there? I've been struggling a lot with my twin-ness lately. I know identical twins will understand where I'm coming from the most, but fraternal twins probably get some of these things as well.

I used to think the whole identical twin dynamic was cute, but now that I'm 18, I've come to resent it. I actually wish me and my sister were fraternal and didn't share a face. I feel like I lose the opportunity for some friendships because when people see us, they usually think "why bother trying to tell them apart, it seems like it'd be too hard". I think we couldn't look more different, but I'm sure all identical twins feel this way. I feel like I'm always going to be locked in this twin unit. I know I'm very different from my sister. I'm just always self conscious if other people can see it too.

The thought of being gay is already hard enough, but I can't imagine how much harder it'll be having an identical twin whose straight. The argument against gays being psychologically damaged is already strong, and many homophobes use gay-twin/straight-twin studies to refute the argument that homosexuality is genetic. I don't want to be a walking example of that (it seems like it would invite a lot of skepticism and judgment into my life). It's almost like I'll be forced to look at an "improved" version of myself forever. When my sister marries a guy and has kids and the white picket fence, my parents will be able to look at me and say "now that's what you could have been." I have no hope of finding someone in person who can relate to my situation, because the dynamic of one straight twin and one gay twin (especially in identical twins) seems quite rare. I feel like both of these issues - being an identical twin who struggles with my individuality and being possibly gay - are both very difficult things to deal with on their own, but when paired together... how am I ever going to make it?

Sorry for the rant! Are there any other twins out there who can relate? Identical twins? Gay twins with a straight twin? I feel like there's no one I can talk to about this Twin issues seem kind of difficult for non-twins to really understand - or, at least people who haven't had twin friends, children, or siblings.

2. LD579

For what it's worth, I've been in your situation and I've made it through. You two are already your own people, and with time you two will start to distance (Not in a bad way). I can't really say anything specifically has helped besides time, but if you have any specific questions I can try to answer them.

One thing that might help is finding out what you like personally about your appearance and dressing accordingly. I've dyed my hair sometimes, or had my hair cut the way I want it to be (Independent of him), and we dress very differently too. I also sometimes wear necklaces or bracelets, while he doesn't, and so on. People might not always be able to tell us apart from afar or sometimes even up close, but with time they can learn to do so, and mannerisms, voice, and demeanour should all be very easy clues when trying to differentiate twins. Sometimes people just don't know which name goes with which face, too.

3. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't relate, but I just wanted you to know that I care about what you're going through. (*hug*)

4. Blossom85

I am a twin, however I am a fraternal twin and although people can tell we are sisters, we don't get picked for being twins, mainly cause I have a physical disability and she doesn't, so it is hard for people to believe two girls who look so differently physically are twins. We do have a close dynamic and bond however, but at the same time.. We have had no issues in being separated. My sister lives with her husband and daughter and to be honest.. We get along better now she doesn't live with me.

My mum used to dress us the same when we were younger and apparently often times then not, we also wanted to be dressed alike till we got to an older age. To be honest.. I can't really relate to what to are saying at all.. Perhaps it it's because I am only a fraternal twin and we have always been seen as being individuals in our own right, so I know my married sister who has a kid and another on the way.. My parents aren't looking at her and thinking this is what you could have or could be as well in relation to me. We are both very different people with very different personalities and it shows.

We have had moments of things that I think only twins can do.. For example.. My sister always used to know the exact moment I was in surgery even if she wasn't told the time I would be going in, even from a very young age. When my sister was pregnant with her first child and even now again as she is pregnant with her second child, I am getting some of her morning sickness.. I know it is that as I am not sick otherwise and it comes in the early morning and usually is gone by mid-morning. We are very protective of each other and are very important to each other, yet I don't have that feeling of no one can measure up to her.

For me, my bond and love with my twin is very different to what I would be looking for in a romantic partner.. I think of it our sisterly bond like any other siblings, except we are a little closer.. We did always used to do everything together and I admit.. I was a little jealous when she began spending more time with her boyfriend (now husband) and it was more to do with feeling like I was losing her rather then not having what she has.. That was solved when I spoke with my mum and she in turn spoke with my sister who then included me in more things.

I'm sorry you are struggling with all of those issues, I think it does tend to stem from not being able to feel like you are an Individual person rather then a partnership with a twin. I think that is what I really love about my sister and I.. We are very much twins and yet we are very much individuals and are treated as such.. The fact my sister is straight is nothing that has ever come into our sisterly bond. She knows I am questioning and knows I might like girls, but has never been told as a matter of fact I am bi/pan, but the of what she does know.. It doesn't change our dynamics.

I think you just do need to start expressing yourself as more of an Individual, change your hair, change your clothing style, my sister is more of a risk taker.. She has her tongue and her belly button pierced whereas I would never take those risks at all.. And you aren't being a hypocrite by thinking what others probably think of you.. It is quite hard to see the difference in identical twins until you really get to know them and then you begin to notice the difference and different little quirks and subtle things..

Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen are identical twins and when they were younger, you couldn't really tell the difference, which was great when they were on full house cause they needed to look the same.. But now as they have gotten older.. You can really tell the difference because they dress different and have different hairstyles, so you just need to individualize yourself more.. I also think if you are worried about the change in dynamics if you get a girlfriend.. Then it is something that you need to talk to her about and let her know you aren't finding anyone to take her place in your life, you are just looking for a partner to spend your life with, just as she would be with a man.. Let her know that things won't change and when you do find someone.. Actively make sure you include her in things, spend time alone with her still and just let her know you still love her as much as you ever did.. Some people just need reassurance. I know it would be difficult when you have spent your life together and identifying as a twin, but now is your turn to personalize yourself, to be your own person. Don't be afraid of becoming whomever you want to be.

5. IrrationalNo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an identical twin and I can relate to this so much! All throughout my life I tried to differentiate myself from my twin sister to feel more like an individual. I feel like we are completely different but people can be so superficial. So, I have dyed highlights into my hair in the hopes that people can somehow see the we are different.And to stop people from monolithically grouping us as "the twins"

My sister is straight and I am gay. We are very close and it sometimes hurts to know that she isn't really on the same level as me. So confiding in my sister, regarding my sexuality just doesn't happen. We talk about EVERYTHING else. I also get upset and admittedly jealous of her because I know she'll one day get married to some guy, start a family, have kids ect ect and be normal.

6. Litveninko

i have an identical twin sister and when we are out people get confused. And I know how u feel

7. Anongirl123

Thanks (*hug*)

---------- Post added 12th Oct 2014 at 11:11 AM ----------

I really enjoyed your story. :slight_smile: Even though I can't relate to the whole 'sixth sense' thing (strangely enough, that's never happened to us), we have had some funny, unintentional twin moments. We got exactly the same standardized test scores in elementary school for example. We lost our teeth in the exact same order too, but on opposite sides. I think it's kind of neat hearing about those things.

---------- Post added 12th Oct 2014 at 11:13 AM ----------

I'm curious. Does your sister know about any of this?
    I'm glad someone relates to what it's like :slight_smile:

8. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a twin, but I can relate as well. In my case, when we were younger, people always thought me and my 2 year younger brother were twins. Really annoying. We didn't dress alike at all, but up until about when I was in high school, our parents made us both have buzz cuts. (I never rreally liked having my hair that short, but I didn't really say much.) We didn't even dress alike (I never really dressed like the,other boys my age, I couldn't stand jeans or properly sized t-shirts, I usually wore polo shirts. By contrast, my brother was a typical boy, jeans ad a T-shirt whenever possible. I never really got how people thought we were twins, and it was frequently annoying.

9. IrrationalNo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I believe in the twin six-sense thing so maybe lol... But I haven't told her per se. This whole situation is more internalized for me at least.

#9 IrrationalNo, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  10. bananasplatter

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm an identical twin and it's annoying as hell being mixed up, I'm the more reserved and shyer twin, and people dont really care for me that much because i am the literal shadow of my sister, it's always "your sister is this" or "your sister is that". However, I do believe in the twin six-sense thing, whenever my sister would feel angry, even when im not properly with her, I do feel her emotions, or when she's ill, I kind of feel her symptoms before the onset of the actual cold if that makes any sense.
    Me and my twin are both extremely different people, I dont know if identical or fraternal twins can relate to a "dominant" twin, but she is the dominant one.
    I feel as if I cant make decisions because my twin sister will become very aggressive and will start being violent and hostile and as a pacifist, i dont really like conflict.
    Don't forget about the annoying people who stare in public at you like you're some martian or some exotic specimen.
    And being grouped, dont even get me started, since me amd my twin sister have the same ability in most of our classes, we get put in the same class for that subject, some of my teachers are so rude and have so much prejudice, if one of my teachers cant be bothered to refer to me as my name, they jus refer to me using my surname, which i absolutely despise on so many levels.
    Sorry for the long rant, it's so much harder being a twin

#10 bananasplatter, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  11. Anongirl123

I identify with some of this (unfortunately!). I remember at the start of this school year, me and my sister saw our old history teacher out with his family (he had us different class periods) and he told us, "I won't lie, I still can't tell. I literally don't even know right now. Sorry to bust disappoint you." Similarly, my sister had our physics teacher tell her last year during class (also had the same teacher, different period), "No offense, but I can't tell you apart. I knew a set of twins in school who I could tell apart... but that's because I actually paid attention to them." They never bothered even attempting to tell the difference, and my sister had braces for crying out loud! Strangely enough, my female teachers really made an effort to learn our names through acronyms, although it may have had to do with the fact that were in the same class period in those cases. Anyways, I get what it's like to be referred to as a unit. I've been called by my surname all too often as well.

I don't really get the whole dominant twin thing, even though I've heard many times throughout my life that my sister is "the pretty one" because she dresses more stylishly. She can be a teeny bit of a hot head (and very neurotic too) while I'm more laid back, but not as extreme as your situation. And yes, I get the alien stare thing too. Not so much when we have our hair different or one of us has contacts in, but when we look similar, it happens more frequently. It feels strange when you're actually on the lookout for it though, and become hyper-aware of who's looking.