1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with comments in school

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Dakeli27, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Dakeli27

I don't think my school is homophobic per se, they don't care that much when someone comes out, but they say things like "that was so gay" and call people faggots a lot. I've never felt the courage to say anything, because I don't know what ai'd say, and I'm afraid it'd lead to me saying I'm pan, explaining what that means, and then trying to tell them that gender isn't binary. Any advice on how to deal with comments like these?

2. Gen

Gen

Jumping to the aid of LGBTQ often raises suspicions about people. It is ridiculous because it is no different than confronting comments from any other prejudice, but that is simply the connection many people seem to make. If you are comfortable with having suspicions raised about you and choosing to ignore them, then I would stand up for your beliefs; however, you should not at all feel obligated to or feel ashamed that you have chosen not to.

Some battles are simply not worth fighting, especially with peers around that age. Most of them are only using those phrases and spreading hate because they want to come across as cool and funny. In most cases, unless homophobic people are attacking another LGBTQ person it usually isn't worth it to confront the situation. More often than not they will be either too immature or simpleminded to listen to a thing you have to say, which is exactly why you shouldn't allow their words to effect you.

3. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

I did some of that in H S too with the names And I guess that Gen is essentially rt .
    This thread and his response totally reminded me of this poem that we just read ( I realized I had read it in h s before too) for one of my religious studies classes by the German theologian Martin niemoler ( my buzzedness can't do umlauds ). Check it out and then decide or just check it out maybe : first they came ....

4. Water lover

Water lover Guest

Personally I am the same way in highschool. I just brush the comments off because I know they are talking about gay and "gay". I guess I have come to the realization I can't really change it and well they don't really mean it that way(most of them).

5. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my mind, if I have to explain it, and then it is either ignored or disrespected it is not worth my time to continue trying. I think it is important to accept that there will always be comments, and people who disagree, but more important than that, is you know who you are. At least, that is how I have always felt about it. They either do not understand, which I will try to remedy, or do not want to understand, which, like I said, is not worth anyone's time.
    I would not let it bother you - after all, it is neither something you chose, or something you can change.