1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Hate Being Black Sometimes

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ZenMusic, Oct 12, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

Most of what I can remember of my Primary School life was me getting left out of my friendship groups because of my skin color, people would run away from me because dark people "weren't nice", and people would call me names too. I've put that all behind me, but I've felt....inferior to white people, especially the boys. I'm mostly attracted to white men, but I've heard there is racism in the LGBT community, and that's kind of off-putting. Also, it just seems like white people are portrayed to be the more attractive race. There was a time where I just wanted to be white and rip all the dark skin off me. Has anyone else ever felt like this?

2. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It hurt to read that post. No one should have to feel that way. (*hug*) (*hug*). I am so sorry you went through that and felt that. Personally, I'm the opposite. I think that black people are just the most gorgeous. <3. Honestly, your skin is beautiful! I don't really know much about racism in the LGBT community, because I'm kinda shy so never really been very active socially. I hope you find the acceptance that you are looking for and that you deserve in the gay community where you live.

3. tulipinacup

That is pretty awful to read. I think racism can be found anywhere and even from where I live, they favour on people who have a lighter skin (hell, whitening products are even popular here). Like you, I felt inferior to white people as a kid and wished my skin was lighter and it's only now that I realised how it's unfair that people with darker skin are perceived as "unappealing"

When I first listened to Nina Simone (who was a black female singer) I wondered why she sounds so angry and began to do more research about her and I felt connected because I found similar struggle of her being discriminated simply because of being who she was. What I'm trying to point out is that the LGBT should know better about discrimination.

I don't know if this post will make you feel better but I do hope that you have changed your mindset of loving the colour of your skin.

Also black guys are hot.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's usually referred to as 'whitewashing'.

You'll notice in black communities, especially in the United States, that "light skinned" individuals tend to dominate. This becomes more noticeable when it comes to black women, who are not only dealing with racial issues, but sexism as well. Look at Beyonce Knowles, for example. She was a lot darker than she was, in her early days, but she's gotten a lot "lighter".

Michael Jackson, according to some theories, was going through black guilt, and this led him down the cosmetic surgery path. He wanted to become, not only more youthful, but lighter skinned -- and we all saw how that turned out.

Straight hair is said to be beautiful. Just walk down a hair product aisle, in most any store in America, and you'll see countless "hair straightening" products, aimed at black women. You'll see various creams and skin care products, that promise a light glow; and so on and so forth.

When I worked in retail, we had a brochure, that we issued every few months, to let customers know our specials and incoming merchandise. February is African-American History Month, and what do I see on the back, of the store's February issue? Hair straightening products. Talk about missing the point, store...

But why? What is wrong with naturally curly hair, or darker skin? I can only take so many blonde-haired, blue-eyed beauties, for so long. I thought we stopped with the blonde hair and blue eyes-thing, in the 1940s.

Read about Malcolm X. He tended to address the "war on people of color", waged by the entertainment industry, the legal and political bodies, and society as a whole, during the Civil Rights era in America. He is famous for his "By Any Means Necessary" speech, which was also his approach, in where he discusses handling problems, for people of [skin] color.

That said, I'm going to conclude, with a line from a Tupac Shakur song:

" Some say the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice.
    I say the darker the flesh then the deeper the roots. "​

Love who you are, who you truly are. Don't try to become somebody else, because you'll be loved by everybody else, except for yourself.

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

This is heartbreaking to read, and disgusting on their part for treating you with blatant racism and insensitivity. Don't believe any nonsense you hear inside or outside of the LGBT community about white people being 'more attractive' because the only people who believe that are the ugliest you'll find. The qualities in people that are the most beautiful have nothing to do with any physical characteristics they were born with anyway. It's personality, passion, empathy, kindness, creativity, any amount of the wonderful qualities that make you who you are, that are truly attractive. That goes for everyone, of every color of the rainbow.

6. Anonymouse7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with SpaceSuit, race is not an important factor for me, but I do find darker skin more attractive. Unfortunately there is more racism in the UK than we like to admit, especially if you come from a small town. You are only 14 though so you can expect that the majority of people to grow out of it as they get older.

7. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    sorry you have had to experience that racism .. in this day and age it really shouldn't happen.

I think everyone above is correct. And you can feel comfortable with yourself and cultivate a confidence and comfort with who you are … one of nature's amazing creations like everyone else !!

8. Gen

Gen

I am sorry that you are struggling with this, but you are definitely not alone. These are thoughts that nearly all people of color have experienced at one point in their lives.

One of the things that stood out to me is the fact that you have a primary attraction to white males. There are nothing wrong with feeling attracted to white males when being a member of another race; however, a common occurrence for non-whites whose attractions are disproportionately on white or lighter skinned individuals is that they grow extremely insecure about their own features. It is difficult to imagine the thought of others viewing us as equally attractive to a light-skinned counterpart when both we and the media say otherwise. When what we convince ourselves that what is most attractive conflicts with our own features, while living in a society that already deems everything from the hair to skin of people of color to be less beautiful than those of whites, it is a recipe for an inferiority complex.

If you have accepted that the roots of this bias is from having this standard of beauty imposed on you over the years, then I would work on looking beyond it and seeing the beauty in people within your ethnicity. It is much less about sexual attraction so much as becoming more aware of the beauty that lies within those that carry your features. Your perception of yourself will automatically improve by association.
    This is such a valid point, but I can't even begin to address it. We could literally have a whole new thread and full-fledged discussion on the shaming of black hair. It is amazing how many people don't realize how bad it has gotten in society. It may actually be worse than pigment-based prejudice.

9. ZenMusic

I also don't like being around other black people sometimes, I feel uncomfortable and I don't know why.

10. Blossom85

My heart broke when I read this, I am so sorry you are going through all of this. I can only speak for myself and I have never seen race as being an issue, if you are a nice and kind person, then I don't care what color skin you have. I myself am not black, but I have a physical disability so I may not know what it is like to be black, but I do know of the struggles of being someone who is considered a little different then everyone else. I just wanted to let you know I read this, and to let you know this is a not a struggle you have to deal with alone.

11. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Man I live in a country where pretty much everyone is brown, and EVEN THEN people with dark skin are discriminated against... they're told to use fairness products and what not. My point is it's stupid to discriminate for any such reasons, and I get that if you've had to face it all your life it must be hard for you, but you need to be able to block it out and not let it bother you (*hug*)

As for discrimination within the LGBT community... well, as tulipinacup said, the people should know better. And not everyone is like that. In fact, I'm sure most aren't, it's just a few bad apples. I hope you feel better about this.

12. Emotional love

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So sad to hear your experience. I think you wanted to change your skin colour to feel accepted. Anyone who is worth knowing, falling in love with, should look at your soul first. There are prejudices in all types of society unfortunately. But there are also a lot of good people in different societies too. Concentrate on the good ones - the others aren't worth your time.

13. ZenMusic

As I said Opheliac, I've put my bullying behind me, but there are times where I hate my skin colour and feel inferior to white people, and think my life would be so much easier on my self-esteem if I was. But then again, the grass always seems greener on the other side.