1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the best free blog services?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Damien, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi

I'm wondering if I can get any personal recommendations here. I know there is an option to set up a blog here at ec, but I would like it to be searchable via terms in the www in general.

Thank you

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Depending on what your blog is going to be about, or what you would like to share, Blogger.com, or Wordpress.com would be good free blogging sites to start with. They are pretty user friendly and allow for a variety of customizations.

The Australian Writers Centre announced the winners of this year's 'Best Australian Blogs' just recently (I think). You might find some links to some local blogging sites there - perhaps something to check out as well. :slight_smile:

3. claiire

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I would recommend taking Tumblr into consideration :slight_smile:

4. Yosia

Tumblr is cool.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find Tumblr results all day long in Google searches. You could also try LiveJournal as an alternative.

6. JamJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here here! I vouch for it, Tumblr is a little bit of an obsession at the moment for me though. :icon_bigg

7. Gen

Gen

In my experience, the best platform for beginners is Blogger. Wordpress is regarded as the most dynamic and powerful, but it can be somewhat overwhelming to dive into in the beginning. There is always the possibility of switching platforms further down the road so you shouldn't feel trapped on the platform that you begin with. Blogger is extremely easy to navigate and has a large variety of templates that can be found free online. Additionally, there is an automatic boost in SEO because of its ties with Google.

Tumblr can be useful when seeking to spread links and excerpts from a blog throughout social media, but it isn't a very solid platform for traditional, text-intensive blogging. It would be much better to have an official url/blog and a Tumblr blog as a companion to help bring in readers.

8. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have not been to ec for days, and just popped in...thank you very much to all of you, you have given me a few options and some knowledgeable advice. Reflecting upon it, and considering my own wish for it to be both user-friendly and a good platform for lots of text, I think I will try 'Blogger' initially.