1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moving to another country?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MerBear, Oct 15, 2014.

1. MerBear

Okay, so....yeah. I might be an au pair in italy but i really want to move to the UK after i'm done being au pair, does anyone have any idea on how to do that?

and with going to italy, How do i get there? i have to get a student visa but i'm at a community college and i'm taking remedial courses. my sister said to register for a language course for a school in rome, and then get my student visa, would that work? i'm not sure on how to obtain a student visa. monday, i'm going to send in my passport application.so yeah, any comments on this?

2. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Here are just a few random thoughts as they come to me:

Do you already have a job offer to be an au pair in Italy, or is it just something you thought of as a possible job?

Do you speak the language at all?

Do you have enough money for airfare, and some extra in case you need it over there?

Could you stay at the community college, study for a year, then apply to a university, and enroll in their study abroad program?

Why do you want to go to Italy before the UK(why not just straight to the UK if that's where you want to end up)?

If you have a parent or grandparent who was originally from the UK, I believe you can obtain citizenship via that link(but don't quote me on that).

What will you do in the UK, live, travel, study, work?

#2 GreenMan, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  3. PalestrinaMX

Community colleges usually have study abroad programs, and if not, you can usually go through another college. In order to get a visa you must first be accepted into the program, and after that you have to go to the Italian consulate nearest to you to apply. For au pairs there are agencies online that can connect you to families, and they will guide you through the visa process.

As far as moving to the U.K, that is going to be tough. In order to be able to live there you need a job offer first, and then the company will sponsor your visa. However, it's unlikely to happen unless you have a master's degree in a field that is in demand in the U.K. European Union doesn't give out work visas unless the company can prove that there is no one in the U.K capable of doing the job that they are offering you. Unfortunately it is very difficult.

However you can study in the U.K by applying directly to a university there, and if accepted you can get a student visa that you can renew until your studies are finished. Sometimes graduates are given the chance to look for jobs while they are there, but that usually only happens if you're a grad student.

I'd also like to add that you won't be able to transfer your community college credits over to a European university. You would have to begin again as a freshmen.

I've done a lot of research on this.

Probably not what you wanted to hear :frowning2: but, I hope it clears some things ups.

#3 PalestrinaMX, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  4. MerBear

1) i do have a job offer, i skyped with the family.
    2) yes.
    3) umm, no because i need to leave as soon as possible
    4) because i don't apply for a tear 5 (i don't live in 5 selected countries, which doesn't include the US)

and i don't have any family in the UK

6) all of the above

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2014 at 07:44 PM ----------

can't have i get a part time job over there? in the UK?

5. MerBear

Okay, so the family in Italy wants me over there but I don't know how to register for classes in Rome to get a student visa

6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That would be a good first step, try to get it on paper, signed by them. Explain them your situation and what you need the paper for. I'm not sure about it, but I guess it would be like a job contract, or at least it should be much better than having nothing... I'm not sure about it, just my 2 cents here... You need to speak to the italian consulate first to know for sure.

Try to find a school online first and call them directly, again explaining your situation. It would help if you email them the scanned document I mentioned from the family.

Hope this works/helps you a bit...
    About moving to the UK, I'm not quite sure... I guess your best option is to spend a while in Italy, learn the language, and just try and see if living in Europe is really for you. Keep in mind that you'll be an inmigrant, even if you are from the US. It can be quite an experience, but it's sure worth a try!

Good luck!

7. MerBear

I really really want to move to the uk, it's been my life long dream, i know it's really hard to move there, i just want to find a way around it.

---------- Post added 16th Oct 2014 at 04:44 PM ----------

so get them to make a contract??