1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it common to stop 'coming out'?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TwinNumber2, Oct 15, 2014.

1. TwinNumber2

TwinNumber2 Guest

After my 20th birthday back in January I came out to my parents, Auntie, and six close friends. This was up until April. However, since then I've not told another soul and I'm actually worried in case anybody else finds out. It was a relief to get it off my chest but now I feel like I don't want to tell anybody else.

I don't regret coming out but I feel too scared to tell anybody else even though I've been met with positive reactions so far. Any advice? :slight_smile:

2. lion12

First, congratulations on coming out in the first place! :slight_smile: I think that you already took big steps and it's something to be proud of!
    I think that the best thing to do is to wait until you're ready to tell other people. Don't push yourself if you're not feeling comfortable. It's okay to be scared and you should go at your own pace :slight_smile:

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree, go at your own pace. I came out to two people over a year ago, and haven't since. But lately I've been thinking of coming out to a few more people :slight_smile:

4. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    No need to rush until you're comfortable, and indeed no rule that says you have to come out to everyone. I came out to my mother earlier this year, on mother's day no less, not that I was planning to do it then but the conversation just sort of went that way. I still haven't told my best friend as I'd rather talk to her face to face and she lives some distance away, the couple of times I've visited her in the past year I didn't really get the chance, where it felt like the right moment. Other than that I've been wearing some subtle rainbow jewelry when I go out. No one has commented on this so far (except for children who like rainbows!) I'd rather have the opportunity to pick and choose who I tell about my orientation, or any of my personal business for that matter.

One bit of advice I could offer, have you tried getting involved with any local lgbt groups or activities? It doesn't suit everyone but if you're looking for a way to ease yourself into telling people that might be a good place to start. You're less likely to receive a negative response from like-minded individuals who understand where you're coming from.

5. TwinNumber2

TwinNumber2 Guest

I was thinking about joining the LGBT Society at uni but was worried that I might get 'outed' to all my friends if they found out I was going along. I guess I'm just starting to panic that the clock is ticking. I'll be 21 in January and I'd hate to still be in the closet at that age :/

6. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    If the LGBT Society is something you really want to do then it would seem a shame to hold yourself back. In one way it might be easier to gage your friends reaction without having to discuss it with them if they happen to discover you are going. That way they might come to you and ask about it, at which point you can decide from whether they sound positive or negative if you want to tell them. In the worst case scenario should you encounter someone who is really nasty about it then you could tell them that you just like to show support, maybe say there is someone in your family who is gay (not technically lying as there is; yourself! Just omit that part if you're dealing with a homophobic bastard :icon_wink ).

If on the other hand you're not too fussed about that particular group, maybe something separate from uni? Depends on where you live but most areas have some regular meet-up groups and events, especially if you're only 20. My area has a disappointing variety of lgbt events but most of what there is seems to be for 18-25 year olds. There is a website by a local organisation here that has an events calendar so there might be something similar to reference where you live.

All of this said, you really shouldn't have to feel like there is a deadline by which time you should be fully 'out'. If there is a personal goal that you have set yourself, that you want to be out and living as you want to be by a certain age then that is fine so long as you are doing it for yourself, but please don't think that you have to do it because people would expect you to be out by this age. I only just decided to come out this year and I am 28. In my case there are a mixture of reasons why I left it a bit later but the main one being that I just didn't fancy being burdened with a label. I never much cared if anyone found out I was attracted to women but just didn't want the hassle of having to dispel assumptions that might be made about me. The tipping point was that the annoyance of having to skirt around the subject of boyfriends in conversation has become greater than my desire to avoid labels.

Hope it goes well whatever you decide to do :slight_smile:

7. flatlander48

I can't say whether it is common or uncommon for people to stop coming out, but perhaps there is a balance to be struck. The process requires effort and investment. It is a matter of how much effort you want to invest in the process. It also relates to the relationship you have with a particular person. So that no false assumptions are made or that you want to be completely honest, you may also choose to make the effort and invest in a particular person.

But, it is situational. It isn't a blanket deal...

8. TwinNumber2

TwinNumber2 Guest

Thanks :slight_smile: I'm not actually too worried about my friends at uni's reaction. I think they should be okay about it. I think they suspect me to be too. It's more the fact that once I'm out, everyone will know. I come from a small town and news travels very fast!

For me the age thing bothers me a bit. I'd like to be fully 'out' sooner rather than later. It's the burden of keeping this massive secret and constantly trying to brush of the girlfriend/virgin questions!

9. Asterac22

I came out when i was 20 as well it takes a lot of of inner strength to be able to do it over and over to family,friends and other people. Like other people have advised i would only recommend you do it yourself when you are ready and can handle all the aggro that could come with it.
    Also joining a LGBT group is a brilliant way of being more self-confident about yourself and meeting other gay people as it is what i have done and it helps :slight_smile:. You have the advantage of being in uni whilst considering coming out and the support you can access put you in a good position also, if i had decided to go uni i would have gotten myself involved in a group like that.

Best of luck!! :slight_smile:

10. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Well I think it's normal not to TELL anyone else but being scared of having them find out, is I think a step backwards which is sad but I mean maybe you're just nervous or maybe you feel you've told the people who deserve to know I mean I feel that way although if I was asked I would tell. But I don't really know? I hope I helped although I doubt I did :/

11. AnotherQueer

Perth, the weirdest and furthest place from
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think that what you've done is normal. I find that it isn't necessary to tell everyone that you're gay because you are. It is like somebody saying to everyone they are either a boy or girl. Unless you want to tell someone about your sexuality, then I think you shouldn't be obliged to feel you have to.
    In my personal experience, I've told my parents and sister, then thought to myself, yep, that's enough. Everyone else can find out (or not), and either way I won't/don't mind. It's not like all straight people go around professing their love for the opposite gender.
    Basically, I want you to know that you shouldn't feel worried. Whether or not you tell everyone in your life is your choice.