1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel ugly, others disagree

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bornthiswaybby, Oct 18, 2014.

1. bornthiswaybby

I feel like I'm a really ugly guy and I feel like I'm not attractive whatsoever (in the physical sense) however basically everyone I bring the topic up to says I'm really good looking. The past few guys I've seen have said I'm "so cute" and look even better in person. I feel like people are only being nice, because I don't feel attractive at all. Girls always say how I'm "hot" and how they wish I were straight because they would be all over me, but I still can't bring myself to feel self-love. I want to be happy with myself :frowning2:

2. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you have deeper emotional issues tied to how you perceive your physical body. I would suggest therapy, because I had the same problem and my therapist has helped me to be able to see what other people see in me rather than just all the bad that I saw in myself. (*hug*). I'm sorry you have trouble with your self-image. Try thinking positive thoughts about yourself. Also, when someone compliments you accept it and don't immediately think "that's not true" or "they're just saying that", because those are negative thoughts that aren't going to help. And they just aren't true. Sure, some people like to flatter others, but every single person you've met who has said a nice thing about your appearance wasn't just saying it to make you feel good or anything like that. They mean it. If you don't want to go to therapy then maybe try writing in a journal about your feelings surrounding your appearance and see if you make any breakthroughs with that.

3. bornthiswaybby

I'll definitely see if I can put some focus on it with my psychologist, because it's something I'm really struggling with! Thank you so much (*hug*)

4. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely! It took me years to bring it up in therapy, but once I did we really worked on it and made progress relatively quickly. I've actually reached a milestone this last week. I was able to see myself in the mirror and not a distorted image of myself - for an entire day! That was huge. :slight_smile:. I know you can overcome this. You are a strong person. :slight_smile:.

5. Jirachi

Omg, I feel you. Back a couple of years ago when I was literally very overweight, girls in school kept telling me how fit I am. I was like, girl..., you better put your glasses on. (no I didn't say that XD) A lot of them has also asked me out (which I constantly turned down for obvious reasons.) but every time I looked in the mirror, I see a whale, lol. I'm still overweight now but I lost a lot of pounds compared to back then probably because of puberty.

As for your case, if it's just your face features you don't like, chances are, they really do find you attractive. Everyone have unique taste. Some people may find you attractive, some people may not, but obviously, you would find that those who do find you attractive will go ahead and say it to you and those people who don't won't.

6. Sek

Sek

This is EXACTLY what I think of myself. People have told me that I have model good looks before and have tried to push me into doing modelling for some money, but I don't think that way of myself. I think I'm less than average looking, either I'm really cynical or they're incredibly optimistic. I'm pretty sure it's a mix of the two.

I try to get over it by realising that it's probably best that I don't think of myself like they do. I'd be an intolerable douchebag then.

7. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Like you said you "Feel" ugly, I think you need to boost you're self esteem, and self worth.

8. DarkestDream

I have the SAME problem...people say, 'oh you're GORGEOUS' and I say a curt 'thank you', and I don't see it at all, so you're not alone! Look at yourself in the mirror, keep telling yourself that you ARE, that's what I do, even when I don't see it. :slight_smile:(*hug*)

9. henohenomoheji

Same for me except nobody tells me I'm cute nor beautiful nor ugly. xD Nobody's ever really commented on my looks at all.

10. MissRanger

MissRanger Guest

You need to practice and appreciate when someone gives you a compliment. Say "Thank you." rather than downing yourself. In return and you'll slowly embrace your physical appearance and gain some self-esteem.

11. Blossom85

I am sorry you are feeling this way.. I know it is easier to believe the bad things then the good, however when people tell you are cute or hot.. Then I think you perhaps need to learn to trust that. I know I have days when I don't feel beautiful or cute, but when someone compliments me, it really brightens my day and lifts me up because I believe and trust what they are saying even if I don't feel it myself. Learning how to self-love is very hard, but I think it is a valuable thing. I hope you feel better soon (*hug*)

12. RAdam

No one has ever told me I was handsome besides an online friend but people have said I wasn't ugly which is nice...

OT, if people tell you they'd go straight for you that means u ain't ugly!

#12 RAdam, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think one thing you can do is just stare in the mirror and really observe your face and body, trying to accurately describe what things other people would find attractive.

Personally, I think I'm pretty average. I've gotten some compliments, which are nice, but I try to put it out of my mind.