1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Essays

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Celatus, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Should I include my experience coming out or my sexual orientation in a college application essay? I'm not applying to any southern or conservative or religious schools, but would colleges like that? I'm just not sure...what do you all think? There's a particular question on the common application I'm thinking of answering: "Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family." because I have no idea what to do for the other ones. Anyway, I was wondering if that would be a good thing to include on an application or not. I'm rather confused on what to write in the first place...
    In need of an idea :bulb:
    hehe that's a cool emoji

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's a pretty good idea.

3. LibertyValance

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know how much things may be different in the states but here they tend to look mostly at your grades and not so much at what you write on the essay section of your applications. I know for example that I didn't even bother filling out the written application but since my average coming out of high school was 92% I got into the program I wanted anyway.

That being said, in my opinion there are many much better things that you could probably put to look good on an application than your sexuality, you're not going to university to be bisexual, you're going to university to study something. To that end if you could try and come up with something like say your first job being an example of transition to adulthood and also talk about what it taught you about work ethic, that would probably be better (this of course assumes you have had a job).

Nonetheless I would say there are probably a fair few better things to point out about yourself than your sexuality on a college application, that is just my two cents though.

#3 LibertyValance, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  4. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, I was thinking something similar, not sure if they would even really care haha

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm fairly convinced I only got into UCF so easily because I did have good written portions on my app. Your coming out as a coming-of-age is an awesome idea. They don't have to "care" on a personal level to recognize that it's important to you and relevant to the prompt.

Good luck. :grin:

6. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Totally depends on the school. I had that question too. Sounds like a good idea for it. They're looking for aspects of maturation and growth so go for it .
    Totally agree with argentwing . No comparison to Canadian unis and u s a (I go to a major uni in the state right below you).
    They defo look at your writing skills and essays and if it's something that catches someone's eye it's always a good thing b c they defo don't read every essay .
    Tests are important here(USA) too , and again , it depends on the school . I did both the ACT and the SAT but where I went to h s it was a forgone conclusion.
    As an aside , if they want to they can also know about your presence here or any other profiles you may have on social media websites( no scare tactic intended ;It's just the facts ).Another thing that is stellar is community service . As was mentioned though, grades are the big factor ( some schools will barter on this for other components ).

#6 Kriskluwe, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  7. Gen

Gen

My main complaint would be that unless you have a uniquely moving story to tell with the essay then it would not be impactful in the slightest. Admissions officers on average are not allowed to spend more than a couple minutes reading through each application and they often run through thousands. There are going to be other LGBTQ applicants in that pile and a large percentage of them will likely write about their orientation and coming out.

Whether you are a sexual, gender, or racial minority, always sprinkle those details into admission essays, but never center these essays around being a minority. Make them aware, but don't turn your essay into a stereotype. Coming out is absolutely a signification accomplishment, but it was something that you set out to do based on circumstance rather than ambition, dedication, hard work, etc. While admirable, the fact that you have come out doesn't say a thing about the student that they would be inviting on their campus. It simply says that you face something that you were inevitably going to be forced to face.

Going even further, I would strongly recommend going the informal route. I can attest from experience of editing admissions/scholarship essays that there is nothing worst than spending all day reading about "How Britney Made The Honor Roll". Go with something that would appear to be a minor accomplishment to most, but happened to be meaningful and memorable to you.