1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loophole in the dress code?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MtnFr3sh, Oct 19, 2014.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey guys... My dress code is strict. It stings that it's selectively enforced on certain people. The ones that misbehave all the time get off free, while the ones that normally behave get burned when they step out of line even once.

One of the assistant principals has gotten on to me on three separate occasions about having a streak of an unnatural hair color in my hair. It's temporary color, so, it comes out... Even a shade of red that's dark, but a shade that's considered unnatural. She said "If it comes out of a skittles box, it's not natural" That made me want to :***: at her then and there. Don't get on me about respecting her, because none of them respect us. The reason I do it is for multiple reasons. Also, most of the teachers don't care about it. They've said they have enough of a battle to fight getting papers graded and turned in, too much to enforce the dress code too, one said she won't bother until the administration says they'll get in trouble if they walk in and a student is breaking it, and they haven't done anything about it.

When I explained how I see other people like that all the time, they told me to basically rat them out. Because there are only three of them. Which made me think, why in the hell are they going after me when I'm a good student who does well in his classes, and never misbehaves (Fighting, etc.) when the other idiots blatantly disregard everything a teacher says, doesn't do there work

1. As I said earlier, it's selectively enforced
    2. I like the way it looks, it's in style
    3. For some weird reason it gives me confidence in my appearance.

So, not just for my hair, but for everything else... I would like to ask if there is any way around the dress code. Other than the word "recommended" people have used it.

Please bear with it...

Since it's really long, and I can't copy it without the format getting all screwed up.
    But, here's the opening lines of it though

"The purpose of the recommended dress code
    policy is to foster pride within the *ISD student body, staff and community that will result in the provision of an educational environment that encourages students to be about “the business of school”, to build student self-esteem, bridge socioeconomic differences between students and encourage positive behavior, thereby promoting school safety and improving the academic learning
    environment.
    All students are required to comply with this policy each day except for those designated as “Discretionary Days” or “School Spirit Days” by building principals. Campus administrators will have complete and final judgment on all matters concerning the interpretation of the standardized dress policy. Matters concerning appearance and
    dress not specifically addressed in the policy shall be within the discretion of the
    administration.
    Students who attend school in violation of the standardized dress policy
    will be dealt with in accordance with the *********** ISD Student Code of Conduct."

So the basic is:
    -Polo/Collared shirts
    -Slacks
    -Can't wear one solid color
    -Hair must be kept neat and clean
    -Must be natural color
    -Can't fall below collar on guys
    -Necklaces must be under the shirt
    -belts must be one solid color

Keep in mind it's selectively enforced in certain areas...

Thanks guys... I know that's a lot...

2. henohenomoheji

Hey I'm a new member here and I want to help some people out too, maybe it'll help me with my own problems.

I see that you live in Texas, I'm not sure how the school systems are there but it sounds nothing like the schools in the Northeast, here the teachers worry more about kids wearing short shorts and exposing clothes. Sometimes they catch something that does seem obscene but sometimes they catch people that shouldn't really be caught. I think they're just trying to exercise their power at that point.

Anyway, I personally don't think you're doing anything wrong. My previous school had people with cotton candy hair and nobody cared! Have you tried explaining that it helps with your self confidence? Maybe if you word your defense in a way that makes it seem like they're the ones trying to break a student's confidence, it might work...

In other words, if you get confronted again are you able to defend yourself by passively shifting the fault to the administrators instead of yourself?

I don't know, it's a hard task to do! Especially when the head of the school is against you. Good luck!

3. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks henohenomoheji :slight_smile:
    I wrote this email to the superintendent. I doubt he'll read it, because he always steers clear of these topics and just doesn't care about what anybody has to say in the matter. I used a fake name, because if he forwards it to my principal, he'll know it's me by my email address.

4. XVI

XVI

Personally I think it's out of line to ask a student (or anyone, for that matter) to conform to a dress code outside of clothing. It's your life, your hair. You should be allowed to have it whichever color you'd like.

I'm sorry that I can't answer your question (as I don't live in the U.S.), but it's unacceptable that they're disallowing you to express yourself. It angers me.

5. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

It's your hair. I'd say keep doing it until they try to punish you.

6. Hyaline

The dress code basically states it is at their discretion to dictate as they wish. Getting a statement with more detailed guidelines from the superintendent would be awesome, but I doubt that will happen.

For now, unless you are trying to be "that guy" in class, play it low-key. I understand the impulse to be rebellious, but I doubt you'll have much of a leg to stand on. The selective enforcement happens after HS too. Life is odd that way. Is your hair worth suspension or expulsion? I know that seems like an overreaction, but if they want to they can enforce it and you'll be forced to comply or attend a different school. :/

Hang in there... you'll be out of there soon enough and then you can do whatever you want with your hair.....until you have to get a job...and then, the dress code will be back and your paycheck will depend on it. :frowning2:

Boop