1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression's effects on grades, and telling my parents

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AwesomGaytheist, Oct 21, 2014.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As some of you may know, I've been really struggling with depression recently. It got so bad that I was sleeping 14 hours a day and my body was so fatigued that I could barely walk. As such, it really impacted my academic performance. I'm not proud of this, but I'm just going to say it: I'm failing a couple classes and I'm going to take a hardship withdrawal to get out of them and to (hopefully) get my money back. I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to explain to my parents that I had to drop all these classes, that they may or may not get the few thousand dollars in tuition back, and that I've receded back into the depression that they assumed I'd beaten however long ago. I just hope this pans out for me.

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    im sorry that you have to go through this dude, um what do you think is the cause of the depression?

3. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

I know how you feel. I'm extremely depressed. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being highest, i'd say I'm an 8. This of course has had somewhat of an effect on my schooling. I'm not sure if I have adhd due to symtoms of the past and today, but concentrating in class has become increasingly difficult. My concentration overall for that matter, hasn't been up to par. I was failing in my calc 2 class and had to drop, and now I'm failing in my chemistry class, and I may have to drop. On top of things, I have bad anxiety because my depression has been so bad.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, maybe talking with a consular-school consular, about your situation can help you decide what's the best option for you to take on in the near future. But treating the depression is a first step, have you taken or considered anti-depressants?

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

did this myself, op. im sorry it is happening for you, the relapse after the feeling of "winning" over depression is very brutal. it is time to take care of yourself and address this proper, you will get better in time. it is difficult but definitely exhaust your schools student services to help you with this, explain to a counselor what has happened. you will hopefully be able to get your grades negated, they may get stubborn on full or even partial refunds but go at them for it if it is a lot and important, or have your parents help if needed and possible. then focus more on taking time for yourself.

get better, op!

5. Blossom85

I am sorry you are feeling this way, ~hugs~

I think just be open and honest with them, explain everything, your thought process currently, your feelings. Maybe write it all down as well before hand, it might allow you to really express yourself a little better as well.. I hope you feel better soon, my thoughts are with you.

6. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand how you feel. I had a major episode this summer and ended up taking two months off from work to deal with it.

One of the things that Ive learned to do is to put myself first. I know it sounds kind of selfish but in the end its whats best for me. Im not in school, but what I did do was I cut back my hours at work. Before I was first diagnosed back in 2012 I worked about 36 hours a week or about 5 days a week. I was also the office manager. After my first depression episode in December 2012, I went back to work in February 2013. I voluntarily resigned from my role as office manager, and cut my hours to about 15 or 2 days a week. This helped keep my stress and anxiety levels in check. Since then Ive worked my way back to 22 hours or 3 days a week. While cutting back hours and pay isnt that great, I rather have my sanity than money. My life and well being come before work and money.

Only take on what you feel you can handle. Go at your own pace. Try to be careful around what triggers your depression. While I may never get rid of my depression and anxiety, I can learn how to keep it in check.