1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Can't Do It

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ZenMusic, Oct 21, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

So I had a long time friend on SWTOr who was a Christian and was afraid to come out to for a very long time, and I finally did and he says " Homosexuality is a sin, and I don't agree with your lifestyle, but God tells us to love, so we can still be friends" I asled him if he would ever come around to the idea and he answered with a blunt "No." And I said " Well I'm sorry but I can't be friends with someone like that." I feel really guilty, and I don't know if I did the right thing?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Look at it this way: he was willing to be friends with you because his religion tentatively allowed it. You were not willing to be friends with him because he disagreed with gay acceptance and thus personally declared that you were unworthy of heaven.

It's a simple difference of opinion. I wouldn't have broken my friendship with him so quickly based on what might not be a major issue to him (I can almost guarantee he is extremely ignorant about homosexuality) but if you know he doesn't agree with it, it might be forced even if you did talk to him.

In short I don't think you should feel guilty. Either keep things how they are or apologize and ask if you could still be friends, but whatever you do, make sure you agree with yourself. :wink:

3. tulipinacup

I'm sorry that he wasn't really accepting to you but I admire your bravery not only that you were able to come out to him but stood up to yourself. It's ok to be guilty with what you said to him but I also think that these type of people are not to be friends with in the first place. You did the right thing for yourself.

It says that you are out to your family and school, do you think you know someone you are close with that you can talk about the situation you had with your friend?

4. ZenMusic

My friends don't know that much about religion, but my sister is Bisexual, maybe I should talk to her.

5. Blossom85

I am sorry to hear that he wasn't accepting of your sexuality, I think you shouldn't feel guilty, everyone has a difference of opinion on certain things, if you feel strongly enough that you couldn't be yourself around him or wouldn't feel comfortable around him knowing he would never accept you, then I think what you did was not a bad thing at all. You don't need to be around someone and scared to be yourself in case you offend him.