1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

update I found a new place to live and I will be moving out of my parents house

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by stocking, Oct 22, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I recently told my aunt that I was planning to move out of my parents house , my aunt knows my mom is abusive , she told my little cousin about it he's only one year younger than me and owns his own apartment and he said that he would take me in . So I will be living with him soon , I just have to find away to move out . But the kicker is my cousin lives very far and it will cost a lot of money to travel to my jobs in my town . But I'm thinking that maybe I should find jobs in his town and only travel to go to the lgbt group but I'm not sure how to go about this , part of me feels scared because I never lived on my own , and I feel kinda like you know safe with the abuser type of way and really scared I don't know what to do and why I'm feeling this way . He already has an extra room for me and he said he will be constructing it . Is it normal to feel scared even if your moving out of your abusers house ?:confused:
    I'm actually kinda surprised at my family although me and my little cousin have always gotten along ,but it shocked me that he said he would take me in .
    My aunt and my little cousin are the only two people I get along with in my family .

#1 stocking, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm really happy you're getting away from your parents for good, and I hope It goes okay living with him. It's very normal to be scared to leave because It's all you've ever known

3. DarkestDream

I'm glad that you have a safe place to go! Yes it's normal to be scared when you're in that situation, but hang in there, and keep pressing forward! (*hug*)

4. Blossom85

That is wonderful to hear, it is good to know that you have family will are supportive and will accept you as you are. I hope it all goes well for you.

5. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say it's completely normal to feel scared about moving out. Where you live now is what you are used to. I know it will be kinda scary at first but you'll be much better off once you get settled in. As for a job I would try looking closer to where your cousin is since you won't have to travel as far

6. TheStormInside

That's great news, Stocking! And yes, I think it's normal. It's a big change and a lot to adjust to. It will be good for you to have a familiar person to live with though, so you won't be totally on your own. If he's willing to have you move in I'm sure he'll be supportive if you have a tough time at first.

It sounds like it might be a good idea to look for a new job closer to where you'll be living, but as long as you can manage it you should probably keep the jobs you have so you're making money still until you find something closer.

7. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good!! (*hug*)

I would definitely look for jobs closer to where your cousin lives. It'll cut down travel expenses immensely.

And good luck! (!)

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Some advice:

Cut off communication with your parents. It sounds harsh, but you have to. If your parents are as abusive as they seem, especially your mother, they'll constantly harass and bother you, about this. They'll claim you're "just running away from God", or something along those lines. You'll have to cut them out, for now at least, so that you can get grounded/settled, and focus on the initial necessities, of being out on your own (or with cousin, lol).

You don't want, or need, any unnecessary nonsense.

9. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

There are two people on these forums I want to see this topic title for, and you're one of them Stocking :, ) I am very happy for you and look forward to your inevitably bright and wonderful future away from your parents! It's okay to be scared, but I bet you will grow to enjoy it!

10. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations Stocking. Glad to hear you are finally getting away from your parents.
    Aside from the inconvenience of having to travel for your jobs until you can find something closer, it might actually proves beneficial to put some distance between you and your parents by going somewhere further away. It will make it more difficult for them to bother you in person (phone numbers and email addresses can be changed, but it's harder to avoid someone if you live in the same area) if they have the hassle of having to travel to you in order to do so. Living on your own for the first time is not quite as scary as it first seems, and you won't be alone anyway if you're with your cousin. Best of luck :slight_smile:

11. NatWheeled

Hallelujah! I'm so happy for you!

Yes its normal for you to be scared. I imagine at some point your parents have suggested you can't survive on your own. You can do this! Your aunt and your cousin will help, and so will we. You aren't alone.

12. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks guys ,but I'm really scared of the whole thing , I just feel so scared it's weird all I wanted to do is leave my parents house and now I feel so disappointed with myself because I'm too chicken.:icon_sad:

14. Really

Tell your brain it's just a three week vacation and then go with the intention of enjoying yourself. And then hopefully as the time passes you'll come to realize how much better things can be and the whole moving out won't seem so daunting.

This is just cold feet. Change is scary but it's just a state of mind. You will be fine AND feel extra good for having succeeded at doing this.

15. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

This is great news stocking! And no it's not weird for you to feel scared of moving out regardless of the fact you are moving out of an abusive home. It's still a new thing for you.. some people are scared of change.. but in the end they realise it was really for the best :slight_smile: I guarantee that's how you will feel once you're settled in your cousins house!

Does he know you're a lesbian or only your aunt?

16. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck! I'm so happy you got out if there. :slight_smile:

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First of all congratulations I'm so happy for you (*hug*) also I'm sure it's scary to think about being on your own but now your free and your mom can't make u do anything anymore. I would suggest just getting a job where your cousin lives and just traveling for the lgbt groups unless there's some closer to u. I'm so happy for you!!! Good luck :slight_smile: (*hug*)

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Your right I need to give my brain a break and enjoy myself . it's definitely cold feet .

---------- Post added 24th Oct 2014 at 10:25 PM ----------

My cousin knows I'm lesbian but my aunt doesn't I recently told him and he said it doesn't bother him that I'm a lesbian . He also said he sees nothing wrong with it I was so happy .

---------- Post added 24th Oct 2014 at 10:26 PM ----------

Thank you , I 'm happy too even though I'm scared .

---------- Post added 24th Oct 2014 at 10:27 PM ----------

Thanks Andrew that's great vice I think I'll get work in his town too it will save on travel cost . I'm wondering if I should go to school in his town or not i'm still debating that .:confused:

19. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, this is like the battered woman syndrome. You sympathize with your abuser. With your situation, you need to turn and not look back. Independence is scary. Although my home was not as overtly abusive as yours, I had my share of problems with mental abuse. I did not want to leave the house at 26, but my dad forced me out more or less. It was a good thing. It allowed me to watch certain shows that confirmed my sexuality etc. I would not have that opportunity living with my parents.

I was overjoyed to see this thread. :slight_smile:

20. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh you're going back to school? That's great! :icon_bigg I'm so happy things are finally working out for you (*hug*)