1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm the only openly Gay Guy at my school, and I feel so alone.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Seanathan, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Seanathan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go to a relatively small high school of about 700 people. My senior class is about 80 people, and out of all those 80, I'm the 1 that's openly gay.

That's not say there aren't other LGBT folk 'round here. There are some lesbians I know, plenty of bisexuals, and even a couple trans, but I don't know ANY other "traditional" gay guys here. None, nada, zip. I think there may be a couple under clansmen who are gay, but even if they are that makes me the only gay senior here. >.>

I'm not upset I don't get to date people. Frankly I could care less at the moment, since I'm a senior applying for schools, learning to drive and all that (here driving age is 18.) I also feel somewhat proud, and unique, as I'm the only one of my kind here, and while that's confidence boosting at times, for the most part I feel so alone. Abnormal, like a fluke. This situation has been making me feel like I'm not normal. It makes me feel weird. :/

I mean, I even know more transgenders here that I know other gay guys. Not that's bad, it's just not expected. :C I know there are probably a few in the closet maybe, but I still feel so alone. It doesn't help that there are some guys I know who acknowledge a same sex attraction to guys but are too scared to come out.

I just want high school to be done with. I just want to know other gay guys so I can talk to them and not feel like an abnormality. :/

#1 Seanathan, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you could always move to Berlin or Cologne and finish your senior year off there :lol:!

All kidding aside, you live in a country that has one of the most open societies for LGBT in the world. I recognize Frankfurt is not the gay Mecca as other cities in Germany (I am there frequently myself), but you have one year left and your entire life ahead of you with great opportunities and prospects.

Come to think of it, Düsseldorf is a quick train ride away, there is a relatively lively scene there - at least compared to Franfurt.

3. Water lover

Water lover Guest

Dude I totally understand where your coming from. I am from the states in a small farming community and our graduating class last year was 19. If I come out I'll be the only openly lgbt guy in my schools history. Surprisingly enough though there are atleast four lesbians lol. But still just remember being lgbt makes you a more open minded and compassionate individual. Rise up to that challenge and realize in some ways it makes out better than your peers. You must also realize as your last year in highschool sure these people mean a lot but you may never see them again so don't feel lonely feel happy.

4. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    look at it as a chance to make a difference and change people's perspective on what they have on LGBT individuals. don't always feel that way, embrace it. not a lot of teens like yourself don't get the same chance or luck they have, and fail to follow through with their education because of their sexual orientation. you will have the chance to talk with other gay guys like yourself and things like that it's worth the wait. i've seen it, experienced it and i know how difficult and lonely it must feel. try to look at the good instead of the worst =P

5. lion12

Hang in there! I can imagine how hard it must be for you. Think about this though, maybe you'll inspire other gay guys to come out of the closet... And in the meantime, try to focus on your friends who are supportive and other LGBT folks. :slight_smile:

6. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Haha, you're graduating soon haha, before you know it, you'll be a shade upon the rainbow field instead of being the whole rainbow by yourself. c:

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You'll have plenty of opportunities once you graduate. Frankly, I was quite envious of the few "openly" (more like semi-closeted) gays in my school because they had weathered the tough criticisms and come out much more secure in their sexualities, whereas people like me were so fearful of even seeming gay. Also, you might keep in mind that some people who call themselves bisexual are actually gay, but they are in a transition (I know, not very fair to true bisexuals). I would just say to hang in there and wait for university or whatever school you take. People at that age are much less fearful since they finally are free of the strict rules of school. You're a cute guy (assuming that's you in your avatar), so you'll definitely find someone to date. :slight_smile: