1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I f**king hate school. Advice please?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kidult, Oct 27, 2014.

1. kidult

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There is literally no point of school. I know that everyone thinks this, but that's because they just find it boring in general. To me, school is beyond boring. It's ******* depressing. I want to do music when I'm older (that does not necessarily mean becoming famous, I mean working in a studio or being a songwriter/working for a record company), and the **** we learn at school has nothing to do with what I aspire to be.

Like the other day they showed us a presentation of all the courses we could take to help us find a future job we'd love doing but there was nothing for music, the only thing I really care about and see myself doing.

And the worst part is my mom doesn't support anything I do. She's always like "omg education first!!1!1!" but she doesn't understand that I am literally failing school and if she just let me go do music I might actually get a chance at making my own money someday?

I don't plan on going to college either. There's no point.

I need some advice. From people who are older, more experienced, who can tell from a personal point of view whether my current pathetic plan is going to fail or not.

:bang::bang::bang:

2. Yosia

College is useful because you could study something in music there but unfortunately you need a few grades to get into college. I too got super depressed at school and at the start, my mom was a little like yours in the sense that she believed education is the most important, however when i got that incredibly depressed that i attempted suicide, she realised how bad it was. Now im obviously not recommending you do something like that to prove how depressing it is but you need to tell her how it makes you feel, as depression affects people greatly and that can affect your future prospects. I don't know how old you are and what school year you are in but you need to try and stick it out.

Unless you know for a fact you can do what you want in the future without any further education then go for it, but i just want to say, hardly anywhere will have someone work for them without qualifications and i can't see a record label being an exception.

Have you considered whether its the school you study at or education in general? if it is the school then could you try transferring? My friend did that because she hated the school she was at so much and she then found school quite fun, and came out with very respectable grades.

I'd say you need to tell your mom how school is making you feel and then maybe tell someone at your school such as your favourite teacher and see what they can do.

I just want you to know, i say all of this out of experience, i too found school extremely depressing but i managed to stick it out and now college i actually really enjoy.

I hope it gets better! (*hug*)

3. Ashley2103

Just do the best you can at school and do not limit your opportunities. Always have a backup plan. Though yes, I can see why music would be ideal. And yes, there is a point to college. What will you do if you cannot make money?

#3 Ashley2103, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  4. Blossom85

I found certain things in school useful and I do agree that high school is useful if you wish to get into a good college so you can learn something so you can pursue your chosen profession. Try to see the positive in it.. You are learning.. You just aren't interested in what they are teaching, so therefore don't feel like you are learning anything of substance.. I hated maths, and didn't feel like I was learning anything cause I didn't like it.. However history and English I felt like I was really learning and contributing to discussions in class cause I was actually interested.. I know for my final two years in high school, I was able to pick my own courses and so I felt it wasn't a waste of time.. I hope it gets better for you, but your mother is right.. Education is important, it can open doorways that otherwise remain closed.

5. shinji

shinji Guest

I agree completely!

That being said, you don't go to school in order to "learn". You go there to interact with people, to get a better understanding of how things work and for a bunch of legal reasons. What you want to do, doesn't have to be as a substitute for school, why not do both? I mean, start small, see how things go, and then decide what you're going to do, once you've had some "groundwork" laid out.

Not a lot of people would want to "work" with you (if any), once they hear that you've flunked school, regardless of what you've learned there. It's how stuff work. Generally speaking, people expect that a person who has finished school would be more "capable" at whatever it is he's doing, than someone who hasn't.

Your mom obviously understands this, yet fails in relaying it to you in such a way, so as to make it easier for you to grasp the concept. No need to rage at her for trying to be helpful.

All this being said, i have my doubts that you'll succeed, if you are so quick to dismiss everything you don't like (school). You know, every job has it's downsides, are you going to give up, just as easily then, as you are now?