1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure what pronoun to use with her?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Water lover, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Water lover

Water lover Guest

So one of my friends the only lgbt (guy/girls (depending on the day)) at my school wants to be refereed with a guy name. I have absolutely no problem with this except... She(I am going to refer to them by this pronoun just for simplicity) is bi-polar, schizophrenic, and has multiple personality disorder. I would love to call her by whatever pronoun she wants but sometimes that triggers her mmd and depending on how her bipolar is going makes everything really bad. I am staying with "she" for now because that's what most call her. I feel damned if I do and damned if I don't. Either way it's somewhat Likely to cause her suicidal attitude to emerge (especially if I say anything lgbt or about family). So my question is for the transfer people out there what should I call her? I honestly don't have a clue so ayn suggestions on how to not trigger someone's dysphoria but not trigger their mms either and really really neutral but phonetically correct and easy to say pronouns?

2. AlySparkles

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that you should call your friend whatever pronoun she/he/they want you to call them. But if you're not sure how your friend might react or anything, they/them are probably the most neutral pronouns you could use without offending anybody :slight_smile:

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a transfer, my view is that you should ask this person how they would like to be referred to.

Any secondary results of that need to be viewed as separate problems to solve. It sounds to me like this person needs psychiatric attention, but I really doubt that the correct pronoun will hurt the situation.

~ Adrienne

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although I am not transgendered myself, my advice to you would be to call her whatever pronoun zhe would like for you to use, whether it be masculine (He, him), feminine (She, her) or androgynous or gender neutral (they, zhe, zhey). And when in doubt, ask what they would like to be referred to as.