1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is homophobia, exactly?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jax12, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel more comfortable around guys in general, despite the fact that they're probably all straight. And when it came to homophobic jokes I rarely got offended just because it didn't apply to me, but for the times that I did feel a little upset when jokes are taken too far and they are just aren't funny anymore, like making fun of people IN GENERAL for who they are.

I personally don't find it all that funny when people make fun of people because that pressures them to take their own life and turn to drugs. Sounds stereotypical but it's true. That's where I get a little upset because I've been pushed to my limits before and had thoughts of suicide. I don't think it's a very funny topic to make fun of, but obviously it is to people who don't know what it's like.

But what is homophobia/internalized homophobia, exactly? I never intentionally made fun of gay people. Maybe as a joke in junior high like "you're so gay" Just as a figure of speech. To be honest I never knew what gay truly meant until this year. I watch what I say now just because I end up saying things that I don't mean lol, but that's besides the point.

2. Rainbows~Exist

homophobia
    ˌhɒməˈfəʊbɪə,ˌhəʊmə
    noun
    dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.

Basically the fear of individual's associated with the lgbt community.

I mean, there are tonnes of weird phobias out there (e.g. Ambulophobia- Fear of walking.) So it's not that surprising that some people are going to be scared of the gay community.

3. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    homophobia is the irrational fear, dislike, or hatred of people how are not straight. interalized homophobia is when you turn that inwards on yourself and may or may not project that outwards as well.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Homophobia is a lifestyle choice, homosexuality is a biological reality...

5. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm. Well like I said I don't think I have homophobia. Never was rejectfull of different people because that's how I was taught at home (had nothing to do with LGBT). It's weird because I'm quite accepting with other people and their differences yet I feel as if I need to come out as gay or bi.

But at the same time I feel that's not the correct label to identify myself as.

I had the full attraction to girls for my whole life, yet at this moment I feel as if I'm gay (I've considered my attraction to older, masculine guys) . I never had attractions to guys even when I was a little kid. Why the sudden change?

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I should clarify that many people develop homophobia due to their childhoods, so they don't really have much choice at first. In any case, don't worry about labels but in the people you're attracted to, male or female, cis or trans. Some people don't realize their sexualities after decades.