1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to be more positive & likeable?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bornthiswaybby, Oct 29, 2014.

1. bornthiswaybby

Hi there!

I'm trying to become more positive as well as happy in life, and I'd like to become a better person. I find myself often saying negative things and complaining, and I'm rude with my parents. I'm severely depressed so that would explain all of these things, but I really want to better myself in the social aspect at least. I go to a psychologist but we have begun my actual therapy yet. I'm sure that will help, but that won't be until Monday. I want to be more positive. Is there any methods anyone has that could help me become happier or more positive? :slight_smile:

Thank you (&&&)

2. Blossom85

I know it's a hard thing to do when you want to feel negative about things, but try to focus on positive things, try to focus your life on things that you find enjoyable and like to do. I don't really have any methods but I just let my head and heart decide that sitting around feeling negative and sorry for myself wasn't going to help me so I just decided to instead focus on good things and things that made me feel good.

Just using the follow for examples: Instead of complaining that you might not like a meal your mother made for you, focus on the positive of being lucky to have food to eat at all, instead of complaining that you might not like school, be thankful you get to go to school and learn. Instead of being rude to your parents, be thankful your parents are still alive and well and you have them in your life.. Whenever I might have been out of line when I was younger to my parents, my dad would remind him that all he wished for was another day with his own dad and that would pull me right into line.

3. Tudor

Hey it's a hugely positive thing that you recognise what you are doing and want to make changes...and I'm sure once you get started with your therapist you will feel better about the situation.

it doesn't work for everybody but I use positive affirmations to help me feel happier and more positive...I find one that resonates and keep it with me...reading it as often as I need.

good luck and I hope it all works out for you

4. lion12

First, it's great that you're seeing a psychologist. I really hope it will help you as much as you want it to.

I've had some pretty bad days at work in the past two years and I tried to come up with little things to make me calm down and see things in a more positive way whenever those bad things happened. One of them is keeping headphones close and whenever I get bad news or my boss or colleagues are being annoying or anything that upsets me happen, I just put my headphones in and listen to a song that will make me in a better mood. Taking those minutes to calm down usually helps.
    If I can, I also go for a walk, or go get a coffee or a tea. Just to get my mind off things.

It's never really worked for me, but a friend of mine once told me that whenever she's feeling down or mad, she takes three deep breaths and it calms her down right away. She also feels like drinking a whole glass of cold water helps.

I really hope you'll find your way of dealing with this. And I wish you the best of luck in therapy! :slight_smile: