1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Group Therapy

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by WhisperLoom, Oct 31, 2014.

1. WhisperLoom

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    And so the terror begins. The lead up to my first group session. I'm an introvert, and scared/wary of strangers. And have soooo many problems. Physical handicap. Genderconfused. Bisexual. Chronically miserable. And the group Im going to is not lgbt, but rather more depression based. Why did I sign up?? Oh yeah...to get better...

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on taking the very challenging step of joining the group in the first place. I can imagine how terrifying that must be for you, so give yourself credit for just agreeing to show up! That in itself is a huge first step.

I think you'll be surprised. A good group, with a skilled clinician running it, can be a wonderful tool in helping shy people overcome shyness, and can also be really helpful in overcoming depression and anxiety.

Please let us know how it goes!

3. WhisperLoom

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks Chip :slight_smile:

It was hard enough to open up to my first therapist. (I just started going to her 2-3 mo ago). I definitely have a lot I could say, based on my conversations with her, but I never know which I should say first and what to maybe hold back on. I have a hard time guaging what people are ready for in a social relationship and that can get prettty awkward. I also feel like I'm always tripping over my own words or not being clear. I try go reexplain, and then I lose my train of thought.

Here's hoping for the best!