1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Trouble With Parents

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DragKing69, Nov 2, 2014.

1. DragKing69

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey everyone. I'm in a bit of a pickle. As of now, I feel like I can't live with my parents. My mom and I have never really gotten along, so there's nothing new in that category. In fact, life with mom is getting comparably better. My dad, on the other hand, is becoming increasingly homophobic. He knows that I enjoy openly gay and lesbian youtubers Tyler Oakley and Hannah hart, respectively. He is trying to lead me away from those types of things which I generically enjoy, and leading me back into religion, which is difficult because I am an aethist. I have not come out to my parents with my gender, sexuality, or aethism. Any of these revelations would be devastating to them. I could use some help. Thanks,
    Brendan/Bernadette:icon_sad:

2. ForeverYoung000

3. RalphHenry

RalphHenry Guest

I completely hear what you are saying. I'm on the same page; I'm not out about anything that makes me, well, me! The good news is that they haven't totally squashed the ability for you to watch Tyler and Hannah (thank goodness, because they are the bomb).

I would start by telling them that it makes you happy to watch them and you're learning so much about other people. Tell them it's teaching you useful stuff for your personal life. Parents love to hear that you're "learning" something. That will at least get them off your back about that.

As for telling them about yourself, I would wait until you feel there is no way it could lead to any kind of harm (mental, physical, etc.). Only do it when you are safe and ready. I wouldn't tell them all three things in the same sitting. Their brains might explode! Just take it one step at a time and you will be golden. I wish you the best of luck because I completely understand what you're going through. I really hope this helps!

4. Khusro aries

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hiiiiiii coming out is not easy it requires lots of courage when you are mentally and physically prepared for challenge its the best time to talk about it to your parents. First you have to be independent and when you're enough independent that you have job and if your parents still refuses to accept the way you are you can move on and start your life not ending in bad way. Try to make all the preparation collect all the information that's going to help to make your parents understand and accept you the way you are.