1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do people seem to think that being gay is a choice?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Celatus, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are multiple people who have outright asked me if I choose to be bisexual and it makes me ticked off. I mean why the heck would I tell you that if it was some kind of choice? The only choice I ever made is to actually be open about my sexuality. I happen to like men and women which is something even some gay people don't seem to get either. It's like people want me to choose or something. It makes me annoyed that straight people think that being gay or even bisexual in orientation is a freaking choice. Lol I think some guys are far too cute looking for me to be straight. It's a feeling and a hardwired part of the brain itself...haha I can't just make myself go straight. The same applies to those somewhat offensive straight to gay 'conversion' things. It just seems like people have no clue...

2. Notlad

I think they believe that we can choose to repress our nature, and choose to adopt a straight lifestyle. Which I suppose we could, but it would simply be not healthy.

3. Blossom85

I think it is because people who are either straight or even gay just can't understand it all in their own head how someone can be attracted to both genders. It is not built into their mind set, same as someone who is straight can't see how someone could like someone else of the same gender and vise versa with gay people.. It is not in their capacity to understand or comprehend fully as they don't feel the same way or think the same way as someone who does like both genders. We can understand them as we can be attracted and like the opposite or same gender, but that can't.. So to them, if they can't feel or or understand it.. It doesn't exist.. I am not saying it is right, but this is now I think of it.

4. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :confused:When I was young sexual preference was thought to be a learnt behaviour. So I went to therapy so that I could get rid of my thoughts and meet a nice girl.
    I met nice girls and eventually got married, and guess what, I still screaming queen gay.
    Now medical professionals know differently and realize that it's the way you were born, nearly all professional therapists say therapies to change sexual orientation are both ineffective and unethical.
    Those that believe that you woke up one morning and decider that you were bi or gay probably believe that the world is fat and only 6000 years old. :confused:

5. Incognito10

If they're heterosexual, they didn't have to "think" about how their sexuality is received by society because it was never discriminated against (and they never had to "come out"), so the idea that someone is of a different sexuality, they assume it was some sort of plan you plotted out and had think and chose--they're unable to conceptualize the idea that your bisexuality came as natural as they're heterosexuality.

6. iiimee

Hmm, it's funny you said this, because people think being transgender is a choice. Now, I have a choice to become a transVESTITE or not, but even then, there's nothing wrong with choosing that, which I may in the future. Who knows? Still, my hetero and bisexual friends both seem to think I choose to feel the way I do. I know I can choose to dress differently or not, but the way I am is the way I am. You sir, are one of those people out there who are struggling like everyone else. I support you and know that being gay is NOT a choice, it is just who you are. I do not discriminate against anyone based on sexuality or orientation, and I think it's evil to do so!

7. ChameleonSoul

Because they're ignorant (insert religious text here) thumpers!

I guess that the main reason why though is the belief that being straight is the "norm" and if anyone strays from that, then they must have chosen to do that. And besides even if it was a choice, who wouldn't want to be gay/bi/pan? We're adorable!

8. DoriaN

It's because we were raised in binaries and enjoy ignorance.

No really, probably the number #2 things humans are is being hypocritical and ignorant.

Ignorance can be cured/fixed.

I mean, I've been looking at transsexual brain data and various studies and you would think we have proven that lgbt individuals are victims of how they were created and that it's not a choice. But then again, we still have racists right? So we'll never fully convince everyone.

I mean, as a Christian I did a ton of research, since now I have my soul on the line. Honestly, ignorance is an insanely huge culprit, simply just being unlearned is causing major issues.

If only schools would teach, alongside with substantial data how we feel, that rather than being taboo, the subject would be un-biasedly learned of and people can form their own informed opinions.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think some people think being gay is a choice because they have attraction to the same sex as well but choose to ignore it and some people who are gay and straight think bi is a choice because their bisexual too but choose to identify as gay or straight and some have internalized biphobia , and some both straight and gay don't get how someone could be attracted to both sexes since they don't feel that way . Same with straight people that think gays choose it because they don't feel attraction to the same sex they think no one can or should .

#9 stocking, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  10. candle

To me, ive always assumed its because bisexuals called themselves lesbians and suddenly When they got with men, people started assuming its a choice.
    this is why mislabeling is dangerous for the community.

and then theres all these fluidtards saying females are "sexually fluid"
    which is like saying that we'll find the right man one day.

They think being a lesbian is a choice because society expects women to like dick atleast a little bit, if we dont then we're manhaters and whatnot

the new kinda lesbophobia ive been seeing in the queer community is transwomen expecting lesbians to date them, again assuming that we must like dick at least alittle bit, that we're only into the femininity ":icon_bigg"

is called SEXuality as in genetalia, not GENDERuality, people.

i dont know why people would assume male homosexuality is a choice tho.

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's between 3 reasons
    1. Religion- there beliefs may be against it
    2. Uneducated
    3. Closet case- lots of closet cases who don't wanna be outed so they talk :***: about lgbt so that way no one thinks there gay.

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with you on the mislabeling part , I have heard bigots use the examples you put up there against lesbians many times when , these women can be easily seen as bisexuals .

---------- Post added 12th Nov 2014 at 03:40 PM ----------

I agree with this too

13. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is really down to whether you 'want' to listen to them or not. Straight people, are either "Are you? or Are you not?" heck, even some gay people will be up in your face about it. The solution is simple really, Ignore them or let them down gently. At the end of the day it is not any of their business.

Peace, H