1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is There Something That I Could Do?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by one and only, Nov 3, 2014.

1. one and only

On Friday my Grandmother was diagnosed with Lung Cancer. She had recently been diagnosed with the same type of cancer in April. She had radiation and chemotherapy and that cancer responded well to the treatment and is non active as of today. I've noticed that she has not taken the news of this new cancer well. She seems very gloomy. I know that she may need some time to process her diagnosis. My only concern is she is not going to fight it and give up. Is there something that I could do to help her feel better?

2. Chriswe

The best thing you can do is to be there for her. Talk to her, if she wants to of course, and tell her what she means to you. Both my grandfather and grandmother are sick with diagnoses all over the place, so I understand you're worried. :/

3. one and only

I took her to her favorite cafe this morning and we had a good conversation. I was asking her some questions just to see where her mind set was on the situation. She seems a little better today. I just want to make sure she has all the support she needs. I told her if she had any questions to ask me and I will answer them honestly. She has Dementia and gets confused at times. I think she understands what is going to happen to her in the next few weeks, she seem to today. I guess I'll take it day by day with her and see what happens.