1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom is an alcoholic and refuses help... so now what?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kyfry, Nov 3, 2014.

1. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Over the years Ive done my best to eliminate or at the very least control my triggers that lead to my depression and anxiety. Ive cut back on my hours at my stress inducing job and even voluntarily gave up my higher paying managerial position. Ive gotten my sleep under control. There is still one thing that I have not been able to fix because I can not control it. That is my mother.

Dont get me wrong, I love and care about my mom. The problem is that she has a drinking problem. Ive told her many times that she has a drinking problem and she refuses to acknowledge it. Its really starting to get to me because I dont like being around her when she is drinking. She also has depression issues but she chooses to "comfort herself" with alcohol.

At this point Im near my wits end. I dont know what else to do. I can only do so much to help her and I cant force her to do anything. So now what?

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There are groups, for example... do you think it might help if she would join one or two sessions ?

3. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have learned too that you can't make a person change; they have to want to change. Hate to say it, but she's likely going to have to hit a "rock bottom" of sorts and realize she is a wreck before she sees her problem as it really is. :frowning2:

I wish you the best of luck though; alcoholism is an insidious, deadly, vicious beast that only the drinker can keep at bay.