1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward Hot tub chat

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Kaiken, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Kaiken

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, so here's the deal:

I'm recently widowed and just trying to get back into things, s-l-o-w-l-y because I'm still a little uncomfortable. I'm really only looking to make friends with gay men.

So I go to the gym 5-6 times a week after work. After my workout I get into the hot tub and relax a little. Usually people get in and mind their own business and keep to themselves. And this is all fine and dandy, but the last few times a man has been a little chatty with me. He's about 25 years old and nice looking in a non-intimidating way. We ran into each other a few times in there and nodded and said hello, but a few days ago we were in there alone with his friend and he started to chat with me. I'm not very social, but I did my best to keep it nice. I talked more to his friend, but the other gentleman was making a lot of eye contact. After a while the good looking one invited me to come into the steam room with them. I declined. This seemed a little too forward. I mean its not like I thought he would make a move, but still...

The next day I run into him again and he has a different friend with him. Let me also point out that neither of us knows the others name, (which is something I'll fix next time I see him.) We chat in the hot tub again and again he's being a little flirty. He mentions that he's seen me a few times and we talk a little bit more. This time he invites me to play water basket ball and I accept. We have fun and after a while I excuse myself and tell him I'll see him around. It's only been a day but since I didn't see him I felt a little sad. Not everyone's as dedicated as me so it might just have been is day off.

Am I doing this right? Am I reading the signals right? Its been a while so I'm rusty.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Seems promising. Try to get in contact with him outside of the gym, or you're meetings may become sporadic.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just continue to be friendly and see where it goes. You've established that you are looking at friendship first and I doesn't sound like you have put a step wrong in that regard. Offer your name and see if you can increase the contact with him like Resu said.

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Next time you see him, if the gym has a juice bar, ask him if he would like to join you for a drink?

5. Images and Words

From experience, don't ask me, my relationships end in disaster usually. You could well be reading the signals right. I think meet up with him outside of the gym, and see any more definite signs before making a move.