1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the point of going on?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Morrisome, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Morrisome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello,
    I have no where else to go and I felt compelled to write something.
    I live in a very oppressive society paralyzed by religious dogma.
    No chance for a guy like me to survive.
    But this is not why I'm posting this.

A few weeks back some girl showed strong interest in me online.
    She had doubts I was gay and wanted to confirm it.
    We chatted and I thought this one is open minded and coming out to her may feel good.
    I felt judged and her reaction was like "I'm so disappointed, I actually had hopes we can go somewhere".
    I felt like crap. She went on on how homosexuality fits every criterion for a genetic disorder.
    She's a geneticist and I had to consider what she had to say. She said that gay men barely compromise 1.7 percent of all men. That was shocking to me in so many ways! Why are we so rare?! No wonder no one gives a shi* about us! We simply do not matter because the majority views us as freaks of nature. Out of a 100 men only less than 2 are gay! WOW that is depressing. I sometimes feel like maybe we are sick. Maybe something wrong in our own pregnancies went horribly wrong. I simply do not know. I just feel like I can not take this any more. The homophobia is overwhelmingly painful. I'm terribly lonely and I'm not getting any younger. My own life is slipping away. Thanks for reading.

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds to me like she is a geneticist who is blinkered to reality and mired in the religious dogma and homophobia of your society. You would struggle to find a reputable geneticist or psychiatrist practising in most countries of the world who support her views. Rather than accepting her 'wisdom', you'd do well to explore/research this yourself.

I remember your thread from the other week and I feel terribly sad for you. I wish there was some way I could 'lift' you to a better place Ray. Even so, I'm pleased you have returned to talk some more. Stay connected.

#2 PatrickUK, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  3. Ruby Confused

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In more liberal areas where people feel more comfortable to come out estimates are much closer to 10%. This has been a well accepted figure since the early '90s. Its not that there are less gay people in conservative parts of the world, just less who come out. 10% is the sane number of people who are left handed. being left handed was one the sign of the devil and they tried to force children to write and use only using their right hand (even if this was detrimental to them). SO you know sometimes even the most intelligent people lack the ability to see beyond societal norms and stigmas...
    What you need to do is work towards a goal that would get you away from the area you currently live in. If that is not possible find a support group (this may be difficult to do but is by no means impossible if 10% of the population is gay there are others out there like you).

4. Morrisome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm just frustrated. Life seems to have lost its meaning.
    Had I been straight, my life can be meaningful, at least in this hopeless place.
    I did search the issue, and it turns out we are rarer than what the public thinks.
    Some very respected studies show that gay men really are around 2 percent.
    I just can't believe it for one second. That is too low, just too low.
    There are more people with asthma than gay men! WTF!
    I'm just horribly envious of straight people, they get to live their lives without having to deal with any of this BS. Thanks for your continued support sir.

---------- Post added 7th Nov 2014 at 07:21 AM ----------

I live in Saudi Arabia. Homosexuality is punishable by death and they're not kidding about it. They will arrest you if you even hook up with guys or attempt that. I did my research on the ten percent thing and not a single study (not even one) gave a number near that. They all range from one to three percent. Even in the most liberal and gay friendly countries e.g. Sweden, only 2.3 percent of people (male and female) reported a same sex orientation. That is just depressing. Thanks for your reply.

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the studies do point to 3 to 4 percent. But I agree with Patrick, my sense is that it is closer to 10%. While SA is a closed society, in open societies, there seems to be a more abundance of people whom are gay as a percentage.

6. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if we accept the figure as being as low as 2%, we are still talking about millions of people - that's hardly an infinitlely small minority Ray.

I really do take issue with the labelling of homosexuality as a disorder. By any reasonable definition it is not.

7. Morrisome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree it is not. I am not sick and it's my belief as a physician but the constant pressures of society do eventually intrude on my mind. I'm just distraught : (

8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have ever considered moving? The UK needs all the Physicians they can get!

9. Morrisome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey get me in!
    I'm currently considered a "high alert" doctor because I was once "caught" with another man in my car. There was nothing going on but I was eventually arrested by the religious police and a final warning was issued that if this (I still have no idea what the fuc* it is) occurs again, my license to practice will be suspended. This means I will lose my job and more importantly my reputation as a doctor. Applying for asylum will mean my issue will definitely become public, such a thing I can not afford where I live. This place is more homophobic than Kenya! My family will live in shame and I will surely lose my job and the means to support myself all for an attempt that may or may not be granted. It's just sad.

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, I worked as a biochemist, and I this geneticist is completely mistaken.

---------- Post added 7th Nov 2014 at 06:03 PM ----------

Also, there are plenty of other minorities, like religious or ethnic minorities, who manage to have thriving cultures and even marriages/relationships within their own little spheres. Don't be scared. :slight_smile: