1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going To A Gay-themed party for the first time

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by IwillBeStrong, Nov 7, 2014.

1. IwillBeStrong

Hi guys,
    So I am at university but not totally out yet. Even though there is this lgbt party held on one of the clubs in town and I was thinking about going there with a friend of mine (who is a guy and gay) I just was wondering how I could approach people there, not feel awkward and have fun. I am not a very social person who likes to go out and is good at apporaching people, but I am very nice though. I just wonder how I can loosen up and start conversations with people I find interesting there as this is one of the only opportunity where I will get to meet so many lgbt people. Hope that anybody can relate and help me a bit.
    Thanks guys! :slight_smile: xx

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Start by keeping in mind everyone else is there for the same exact reason. Once you accept that, know that when you engage with someone, that other person will be trying to determine if there are common interests sufficient to engage with you. Sometimes there will be, and sometimes there will not be. If there is not, do not take it personally, just go on and try meeting someone else. As hard as it is initially, try and be proactive and engaging people in discussions. The other person will be happy as they as well might be nervous about starting a conversation.

See if the conversation flows and take it from there.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trust me, there will be other introverted people like yourself, and it's really magical when introverts talk to each other about deep or profound issues. Sure, you may not meet everyone like an extroverted person, but you don't need to in order to have fun. :slight_smile:

4. Kaiken

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your afraid to approach someone and make conversation for the first time just look open and casual and the more extroverted ones will talk to you. Don't cross your arms or look at your phone. Just be casual and have a slight smile on your face. After people come up and talk to you maybe you'll feel comfortable enough to talk to other people without them initiating the conversation. It takes time...

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Can you mingle with a crowd ?
    Is there a small bar there ? You might have a cup of cocoa and look around... or have a bite to eat and look around... and talk a bit... how their food tastes, it looks good... etc...

6. Really

Is your friend more outgoing? Could he act as ice-breaker? You could scope out some other single girl and both of you go up to her and he could make the introductions?
    "Hi. I'm Charlie Brown and this is Lucy. She's new here. Could you keep an eye on her while I go to the bar? Thanks, bye."

Then he goes off and you apologize for his quirkiness and then ask her name and then...