1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you belief in fate for true love? Can long distance online relationships work?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by QueerTransEnby, Nov 9, 2014.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wanted to make this anonymous to get more detailed, but I couldn't really find an anonymous sub forum for this.

So, I met a guy in chatting somewhere, and we really clicked. Like totally cupid love from the first few clicks. We have everything in common almost. He is 12 years older though and lives in a southern state. I have never felt such a connection to anyone. I felt surges all throughout my buddy and totally validated my sexuality despite the fact I didn't have his picture but he has seen mine(non-nude of course). He loves sports like I do, comes from a Christian background, is libertarian, and is the romantic type but also kind of sexual like I am. He has a good heart and is sensitive. I won't get into more details, but we didn't meet under the most appropriate circumstances.

The weird thing is that I had just been seeing a post from fellow alumnae from my college from his area saying who they will recruit next to live down there. Then, I find out my affirming aunt is moving down there to his state. On the way home tonight, I see a license plate from his state that I RARELY ever see here. Is God or the universe trying to tell me something?

#1 QueerTransEnby, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Do I believe in fate for true love? No. Do I think long distance relationships can work? No. However, it doesn't matter what I think; what does matter is that, regardless of whatever happened between you and your darling, clearly you are still very much in love with him. Enough so that you are scrapping for excuses to rekindle whatever you two had going sooo why leave it up to the 'universe'? Fuck what the universe thinks, it's obvious that at least a part of you is dying to be with this man (in one way or another) so follow that. It may end up in disaster or it may turn out ok, whichever the case you owe it to yourself to give it a try and find out with him.

Here are the anonymus forums btw

3. Melanie

Melanie Guest

You havent seen his picture? Is there a specific reason for that?

One of the principles of online dating is that "its not real until you meet that person face-to-face" so I would hold back on making any judgments about compatibility till you meet. Further, I dont think LDRs generally last unless the long distance part is temporary.

4. SimpleTim

SimpleTim Guest

I would say with meeting someone online, there is a huge lack of 'information', that your imagination has to fill in. Especially if your just using text for communication. It looks like your filling in these gaps with a whole bunch of positive qualities.

I'm guessing your feelings are going to change drastically when you talk to him face-to-face, as you start noticing just how different he is compared to how you imagined.

Also, when I'm in love, my mind does that weird thing of making a lot of meaningful connections from completely unrelated information, just as you described with the "signs" that your getting. I've always assumed that 'love' dampens and inhibits the critical judgement part of our thinking, which leads us to making these weird conclusions.

#4 SimpleTim, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
  5. candle

i dont believe in true love and LDR can work for a little while but not forever

6. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are too many happy (and not-so-happy) coincidences in my life that led to major events for me not to believe in some form of fate. On the other hand, I also believe that if you're looking for signs leading to a thing, you will find them even where there are none.

I think you're a little ahead of the gun here. He's twelve years older and what sounds like a significant distance away. Long-distance or not, you haven't known him for very long. Start slow. Talk to him and, if things go well and you both really want to pursue the relationship, then you can worry about the future.

Long-distance relationships can work for some people, though I agree with others that this is true only when the long-distance has an expiration date. I met my girlfriend online and we've been together for a year now. We didn't meet in person for the first time until six months into our relationship. It helps that the distance isn't nearly as great at some points of the year than others with us, though. They're not easy but...they are possible.

7. photoguy93

I sort of believe in fate, but I look at it more like the universe is telling me things will be okay, if that makes sense.

I do not like long distance relationships. In fact, I think they are a total bag of bull. The only time I think they can work is if you've already established a relationship with the person, like with military families or if someone has to move before you, etc.

You hold your expectations too high. You most likely meet people online and are attracted to what they have said, how they look, and a profile. People can craft what they want online. We all do this.
    You have seen his picture, right? You made it sound like you haven't. If you haven't done that yet, then lord have mercy, I'm gonna get my giant red flag out.
    I also have to say that online relationships tend to be very immature. I know, that might sound offensive but for a lot of us it's the truth. We are either too shy, not out, or something else and we look online. That way, we can control our environment, and then...we fall madly in love because someone actually "loves" us. I know, I've been there.

Just want you to think these things over. I can't change your mind but I want to just be totally honest.

8. bulbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't believe in "fate" in terms of having only one perfect match for someone else, but I do believe in opportunity, being lucky enough to meet a special someone who u can be very happy with.
    When it comes to online dating, I think it's a great way to start a relationship, but you can't make any final decisions unit a meeting in person has been made, because there are many qualities in ppl that can only be discovered through direct interaction

9. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My interpretation:
    you would like this to happen. There are things which would make it easier. You journey might even take you to a place you like and not necessarily a person.

You might take the time and meet there, or for example have one or two chats per skype and meet then.