1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signs of depression?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Litveninko, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Litveninko

I've read that signs of depression are insomina or too much sleeping. I get both, I mean I can wake up so early and stay awake for a day and more. And whenever I sleep I sleep for almost a day. I also cant focus well, I was going to hit by a car and motorcycle in the same day. I also read that depression doesnt really relate to being sad 24/7. It has others signs. I only get sad and those times when I cry before sleep. And im not sad when I find something to do. I dont have any suicidal thoughts at the moment but im afraid I would have in the near future. So as stated above, does it mean I have depression?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you usually identify a reason for doing this, or is it just random? Because if there's nothing in particular to make you sad enough to cry, that seems like it might be a clue.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It's hard for anyone to say whether you are depressed or have depression. For one, we are not qualified to diagnose it, and the symptoms you have described can also be of something else. Some other signs of depression can generally include, loss of hope, no interest in doing routine things or in the things you do on a regular basis, a loss in energy, and being angry at yourself as well as hating yourself.

Do you have any or a combination of these symptoms listed above, in addition to what you have already mentioned? If you find that you do, I would suggest that you try speaking with a doctor about them. Have you by chance mentioned how you feel to your doctor?

If you don't mind me asking, why do you get sad?

4. Litveninko

Do you usually identify a reason for doing this, or is it just random? Because if there's nothing in particular to make you sad enough to cry, that seems like it might be a clue.

I do have a reason.. it's because I can't be who I am and none is accepting me.
    and I didn't seek any therapist yet. and I don't want to
    I'm not losing hope but I have the other symptoms.

5. Quiet Raven

If you say you aren't losing hope... Does that mean you believe you can make the necessary changes? If so, then why not just work toward that?

That is what I am doing. I never saw a doctor or therapist. But I don't need them to tell me I am depressed. A few times I did lose hope but... I am making my own plans to make big changes in my life.

6. Yosia

Like Mirko said, we're not qualified to diagnose you, but we can share our own stories, and that's what I'm going to do.

When I get depressed, It isn't just that I feel sad, I lose interest in doing normal things such as getting up, getting dressed, going out - especially school/college, and even losing interest in other people - or sometimes oppositely, becoming extremely attached to people. I sometimes lose hope too, and my self-confidence becomes irreparably low, and will take forever to recover, and I don't think I will ever recover to the self-confident individual I used to be before I had any depression episodes. The main thing though, is I will just feel empty and emotionless, I will also become really cold towards others, which usually doesn't end well. Sometimes I will have emotion, and it will usually be sadness, which results in crying for what seems forever.

The worst thing I feel when I am depressed though, is the urge to self-harm. I usually self-harm when I am depressed so that I can feel something even if it is pain, as it feels better than not feeling anything at all, and even though it is dangerous, it helps me to transfer emotional pain into physical pain, as when the emotional pain/stress/ whatever you want to call it, gets too much, it can leave me feeling suicidal.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That's my story of what happens when I get depressed, it's not very fun at all.