1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about changing jobs. From fast food to walmart...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MtnFr3sh, Nov 9, 2014.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So yeah... I'm not entirely sure, I've had my current job at a local fast food resturaunt called Chicken Express for maybe a month. And most of the people are nice, it's hard. I have to do everything quick, and right. (Which doesn't sound like much) But you REALLY have to be a good multi-tasker, it may be because I'm new, but, it's really difficult. My first day, I started on one of the most difficult jobs, packing. Then, I was on window, then counter, now, I'm stuck on drinks. I wasn't the best at it, but, I was pretty decent at the rest of it. Except for the drinks, every night. I have to make gallons and gallons of tea. Which, wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that when I'm almost done. It's like a drive through "Yeah, I'll take 3 gallons of sweet tea. And 3 gallons of half and half" Which is half sweet, half unsweet. Which means i have to grab two more empties, and start filling them up, slap a sticker on them, then get them to the window. While having to make smoothies that are all the way across the room. Get refills, and then, at the end of the night, clean the bathrooms, and the drink machine. All of this in less than 4 hours.

What bugs me about this, is that I started on the things that were supposed to be harder, and did well at that. While now I'm stuck at the thing that's actually harder.

The reason I'm here in the first place is because I needed a job. And my mentor through a school program knows the owner. So, he sort of guaranteed me the job. I would feel guilty if I just up and quit.
    I mean, I had a resume and everything.

I'm thinking of going to work for Walmart. A place I swore I'd never work for. Why? Because of all stores, I hate walmart the most. And I wanted to work in retail to begin with. Not food service.

From what I've heard, walmart actually pays better. Like, almost 9 dollars an hour. While right now, I'm making 7.75... (It's supposedly supposed to go up if I do so well after such a period of time)

I would LIKE to be able to find some things on like the employee handbook, so I could look at some of their policies. Such as worker dress code. From what I understand. Some other people like it, I don't know if it's just the pay, or what. Also I'd like to know what I'd need to do to ask for days off... Because I do extracurriculars. It's really easy when it comes to that at my current job. Just write it down on a calendar. and you're almost guaranteed to get that day off.

But, I have a feeling they're in a bit of a hiring freeze at the moment. Some idiot set something on fire that ruined everything with he sprinklers. they lost over 2 million dollars... So, they're probably not exactly eager to look for new employees to pay at the moment.

So, don't really know what to do... I mean, can you kind people maybe help me? I don't want to go ask my mother what I should do, she hates walmart as well. And I don't want to ask my mentor because he's sort of the one who got me the job in the first place.
    :help:

2. Gen

Gen

Theoretically, it shouldn't be difficult to visit the location you are considering and ask them some of these questions directly. Obviously, if they aren't hiring then there isn't much more that can be done about the situation.

On the topic of whether or not to stay in general, I would recommend holding out for a while. There is hardly ever a reason to work at an establishment where you are being mistreated or exploited, but when it is just a matter of difficulty and a shocking learning curve it can be a very good learning experience in the long run. If you are persistent, then there is no doubt that you will eventually fall into the routine and work as efficiently as everyone else. If they didn't expect new employees to have to adapt to the environment and you were truly working that poorly, then they would have fired you by now.

Especially with nice coworkers and flexibility when it comes to hours where you are, you don't want to find yourself switching to another business and hating every second of it. I have known just as many miserable people in retail as in fast food.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! You know, it is totally okay to go to your mentor and be honest with them, and say to them that you have realised that you are not a good fit for the job. Talk with them as to why you feel it is not going well for you.

I can understand that it is a difficult conversation to have with your mentor, but I think talking with them, will be better for you in the long run. Don't quit yet, talk with your mentor first.

That said, and given that it's been only a month, maybe give it a bit more time, to see if anything changes for you.

If you don't like Walmart, why do you want to work there? Never ever take a job (and it does not matter which job it is) just because of the pay. :slight_smile:

A lot of people forget that the way they fell about their job, the company they work for, will be reflected in how they do their work, at some point. It could even have an impact on how you come into work in the mornings, or at the beginning of your shift.

If you don't like Walmart, and have promised yourself never to work there, find something else. Find another retail store that you could see yourself working in; one that might pay a similar wage and/or provide similar benefits.

It isn't a good idea to ask for days off (so to accommodate extracurricular activities) right when you start. Your first few weeks on the job are about you showing initiative, willingness to learn, and wanting to have the job. Asking for a day off because of an extracurricular activity, is not going to look good. I would suggest that you try finding something that has enough flexible hours, and would easily allow you to accommodate the things you have going on during your week. :slight_smile:

However, you might need to prepare yourself for letting one or two activities go, depending on how many hours you feel you need to work, need of income, etc...

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know it's horrible right now, but I would wait until after the Christmas season to work retail. I worked retail for 4 years and can tell you it is stressful this time of year. I agree with Gen. They would have fired you if you were insufficient. Most of these places have high turnover and do not like to fire employees unless there is gross misconduct. They may re-assign you if things aren't clicking. They could put you on the register or somewhere else.