1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A bunch of Smart Bigots

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TeePee, Nov 14, 2014.

1. TeePee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Who said education made people more ''progressive'' or ''open minded''??

I am a physics student (2nd year of varsity). My class is made up of 8guys, no girls. Most identify as christian, including me. So, yesterday one of the guys wanted to use my flash drive for some stuff. I had a gay movie stored in the flash, and the very first scene on the movie is like 30 seconds -and then some - of two men kissing. Naturally we check out stuff on each other's laptops or flash drives, so he sampled the movie...and then what followed was sooo disgusting, at least to me. You see, i had left the video there because i wasn't going to delete my movie because it would probably upset some d-bag. So he called the other guys and they started telling me about how unnatural that i watch that and how Satanic homosexuality is....i know we live in a conservative african country but still! The asked me if i thought homosexuality was ok/natural....and i was sooo proud of myself when i answered them.....i told them it was as natural as heterosexuality and i wasn't ashamed of thinking that. The one thing i never expected was them not suspecting i was gay. It's not that i care if they knew, they are just 8 guys whose lives and presence would be a distant memory in 5 years.
    At least now i know that 4 of my classmates are bigoted d-bags.

2. Otaku

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mom ( a teacher ) scored the best grade in the country in a evaluation exam in her field , and she still thinks that homosexuality is disgusting ... So yea just because they're smart doesnt mean they wont be homophobic

3. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    there's nothing smart about bigotry!

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's what I was going to say. It's plain ignorance masquerading as intelligence.

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ben Carson is a neurosurgeon (a job that takes years of higher education) and he likens homosexuality to paedophilia and bestiality, so this doesn't surprise me.

6. josh9623

well I am at a Small Uni in the northeast US. It is in a very liberal area and until last semester the campus had a bad problem with homophobia. It took some new eyes, in the form of a new head of student affairs, and someone who is now my friend to start to turn it around. while the problem still exists it has gotten better. Maybe if you can find someone in administration who has more liberal views you could talk to them. Just be careful. I will not pretend to know the LGBT climate in your area. If this is not possible then my advice would be to lay low until you can move to a more progressive atmosphere.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Academic studies don't always translate into better understanding the human condition, obviously. One can receive information without putting the big picture together.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Coming out in Africa...you got guts. :eusa_clap