1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So.. my birthday is tomorrow.. and I dont want it to happen.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by JessieRayne, Nov 14, 2014.

1. JessieRayne

My own little corner in my own little world
    I mean, basically, theres nothing anyone can do.. It's not like tomorrow is going to magically disappear. Unfortunately, things just dont work that way.

I hate my birthday though, its a day of in my past I wish never happened. I don't want to be here, sure, I'm grateful that I am, don't get me wrong, but I feel like so many people have lost their lifes, or simply never got to experience life, that deserve it more than I do.. thats all really.. well its not, but we will keep it like that.

But, thats not the biggest problem Im facing here. My birthday, is supposed to be celebrated as another year i've survived on this earth, but my birthday is really just the day my brother stopped fighting. The day people, or the situation, or maybe even myself, sent him over the edge. The edge I didnt even know he was standing on.

He was always better at hiding things than I was.. I guess..

It pains me, still, and I hate my birthday. I hate when people say happy birthday to me, because it just reminds me of the painful memory. The painful day that my brother became another statistic, much like I feel im bound to become.

My boyfriend wants to do something for my birthday... which is really sweet of him.. but it will be too different to me.. too new.. I'm used to spending my birthday, alone, at the cemetery with what remains of my brother, where I hope, somehow, somewhere, he can see me .. know that I haven't forgotten him.. and hope he hasn't forgotten me.

I guess what im really questioning, is this too terribly selfish of me? For me to be acting this way.. I feel like on one hand it is, but, on the other hand i feel like it cant be helped, that i cant stop thinking and feeling the way I do. *sigh*

2. NatWheeled

I'm sorry bout your brother....I can't even begin to comprehend how that must feel. You've prolly heard this one but I'ma say it anyways. He'd want you to be happy. I'll bet he's thrilled you have somebody special in your life now. You're brother will always be part of you and would wish you to have a better life than he did.

Does your boyfriend know bout your brother? About the pain your birthday causes? Maybe he'd go with you to visit the grave? Let him do something for your birthday, but maybe nothing crazy or with other people.

3. MissMiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    why is there much sad stuff here T_T i feel truely bad for your brother though

4. so sorry you have to go through so much pain, and on your birthday too:frowning2: just remember that (just as natwheeled said) your brother would want you to be happy and I'm sure he is super proud of the person you are today. don't get discouraged, keep living each day the best you can and fill your life with people who make you smile. you seem like a wonderful and deep, good hearted person, I'm sure your brother agrees. spend your special day (sad memories and all) with the person you love and know that you can get through this :wink:

5. JessieRayne

My own little corner in my own little world
    Its okay.. you don't have to be sorry, Its not like its your fault of course. I keep trying to tell myself its no ones fault. I still feel guilty though, we only had each other, and perhaps I was just too much of a handful to take care of. But regardless.. I know hed want me to happy. Its been a few years.. and I still don't understand how I can be.

Yeah, my boyfriend knows.. hes spent who knows how many hours making sure I was fine because Id have those random days were id break down. Hes visited the grave with me a few times.. hes always made it pleasant.. because even in the worst situations he can make something funny and respectful at the same time.. even with the simplest of comments like "well.. okay so, youre baby brothers an odd one. But hes my odd one" or "Youll have to come back and haunt me for a day and tell me all the secrets to cheer him up when he misses you like this. He's got me stumped." which.. i kinda think its cute.

the reason he wants to do something for me.. is because he feels like i deserve to have a happy birthday for once.. that i deserve to have a birthday spent with someone who loves me again.. and i find that super sweet of him.. but its.. idk hard.

6. Yosia

I just want to say, it is truly awful what happened to your brother, and no-one deserves to go through that. Obviously it is entirely up to you what you do, but I think birthdays should be celebrated, and even though something awful has happened, it doesn't mean you can't have a little fun on your day. I'm sure your brother wants it that way, I would want my loved ones to be able to live happy lives if I ever went, and I'm sure your brother does too!

I couldn't even begin to think how hard it is for you, just know, we are all here for you, and so are your loved ones, especially your boyfriend. I hope you feel okay and have fun tomorrow. <3

7. NatWheeled

Your boyfriend sounds amazing, and understanding. I know its cliche to say "your brother wants you to be happy" but its true. Of course you can't flip a switch and be instantly happy, if only it were that easy right? But you've got an understanding boyfriend willing to help you get there. Let him do something for your birthday. You don't have to be instantly happy n jolly, I don't think he expects that....but Lil by Lil one year at a time, you'll get there.

8. shinji

shinji Guest

Dear Jessie

It is perfectly normal to grief, do not avoid it, do not force yourself to act and feel, how others expect you to. Your birthday should be a reminder, of all the good times you have spent with your brother, a reminder of his memory, of who he was to you.

You should ask Daimeon, to take you away, from all the people from all the pressure. To take you to the one place where you can be alone with your thoughts. You are not being selfish, and even if you were, a birthday, is the one day a person is allowed to be selfish.

Happy birthday!

~Shinji

9. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Jessie,

I know that it'll be painful for you on this day, but even if this day is your brother's, it's your day as well. And even though you don't believe it, you definitely deserve it.

You are not selfish for feeling this way. It's completely understandable, but your birthday and what happened with your brother - they are completely unrelated, other than the fact they occurred on the same day. And it's definitely and most certainly not your fault.

You said yourself that your brother wouldn't want you to be sad, yet, I understand - it's difficult to move on. Extremely difficult. But it's far from impossible.

I'm not saying you should try to move on instantly. That is impossible. But you can start. You can take tiny, tiny little steps until you feel confident enough to keep going - and then you will move on.

The first step? Celebrate your birthday.

It doesn't have to be a fantastic, elaborate party. Even if you accept a little gift from your boyfriend or get yourself a cake, that's definitely something.

Remember your brother. But remember yourself as well.

You can try to celebrate before visiting him, and then you can tell him about it. It's not selfish at all. I'm sure he won't mind at all. And it might give you a little something to talk about.

(*hug*)

I hope everything goes well.

10. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Have you ever seen a therapist for your survivors guilt?

You are not being selfish, you aren't ready for that day to be about you.

So, maybe tell your BF, I'm not ready. You've got work to do to get in a better place in your head and heart.

You can't force yourself to just get over it, you wouldn't feel genuine

11. ithinkiamgay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    belated wishes Jessie!!