1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared and unsure

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by GayNurse95, Nov 14, 2014.

1. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a college student who is moving to another state in June to another college. I am scared I won't do well. I only have $500 in the bank. I have a full time job making $9.75 an hour. I am in debt as well. I am scared i wont make it. I need help and advice on handling this situation. I need an apartment, phone service, internet, meds and food.
    How do I do this and is it possible to survive like this?
    I get no help from parents

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I can see why you would be scared and feel uneasy about your move. It's definitely not an easy situation to be in. (*hug*)

The 'good news' is that you still have some time before the move. Is there a possibility for you to get another job that would pay a higher hourly wage? Sometimes, colleges will also offer 'work study' positions throughout the school year. Would the new college have something like this available that you could apply to?

3. Really

Does the college where you're going have student housing? That can sometimes be cheaper than off-campus accommodations.

4. I am Kakashi

Definitely try for financial aid. Try for grants and scholarships first and (ugh, I hate it too) but worst case scenario, a loan.

As for getting a new job, maybe your current job has openings in your new city, that they could refer you to?

As for housing, it might be easier/ less stressful to find someone who has a room to rent, and be a roommate till you get on your feet. that way you don't have a ton of deposits.