1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bumping into guy at gym who flaked out on meeting (need advice)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Regacter, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Regacter

Regacter Guest

I apologize for the long post but here is my problem.

I recently came out and I tried some apps in meeting other gay men in my area to just chat and hopefully develop a friendship with. There was this one guy who responded to me (one who wasn't sending naked photos of themselves or wanting to just have sex). We texted for a bit- told him i was ready to come out, and he gave me some excellent advice. We then exchanged photos, and he wanted to meet up. We had a day scheduled to meet for the first time and I texted him to decide a time and place- he never texted back after my last text. This was the second time he did this (the first time he did texted back stating he wasnt able to make it) so i didn't reply back to him, thinking maybe he wasn't interested anymore. I was kinda hurt- hoping i could at least develop a friendship with at least one person who wasn't straight and get some sort of guidance in being gay in this small town i live in.

Fast forward a couple of weeks later, I'm in the locker changing and guess who shows up...
    I was hoping he didn't have my locker next to mine but he did. I didn't make eye contact with him, bc it seem kinda awkward, both of us half naked in the locker room... i had my back turn to him, quickly changed, and left. I don't know if he saw me or not.. he didn't say anything and neither did i. The following week i decided to try a spin class and guess who shows up again... Taking the same class with me. After class i headed to the showers and when i got out he was there again waiting for a vacancy. I passed by him with my eyes down pretending i didn't see him (seriously how many times do we have to bump into each other naked!). I quickly changed and left.

Should I talk to him? Just ignore him? I mean we go to the same gym so its likely we will bump into each other.

One friend said to just say hi to him when we're both not naked. Another said to just ignore him. My gut tells me I should at least say "hi" but then what do i say next? "Why didnt you reply to my last text?"

Again i apologize for the long post.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    if you are interested in meeting him socially … could you use the app to just say "Hi.. this is a bit awkward but I think I may have seen you at my gym , but I wasn't sure if it was you ? blah blah, do you want to meet up for a coffee?.."

if not, you can just continue ignoring him when you see him in the gym and I expect he will fade away if you know what I mean

3. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    At this stage, I personally would have done the same as you and let it go. You've made your effort (twice, in fact) to make something happen and he didn't have the decency to at least tell you it wasn't going to happen. If any progress is to be made I personally believe it should be his turn to make a move.

With that said, if you really feel strongly that you'd like at least friendship with this particular guy, I'd do as bingo suggested and perhaps message him on the app to see if he'd like to get a coffee or something after gym. Though you may be due an explanation of unanswered messages before that.

Ultimately, if it's just friendship you're after, there are more gay guys to be friends with - you may decide it's time to give someone else the opportunity or perhaps third time lucky for this guy at the gym.

4. Kaiken

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In situations like this I'm surly at best. I think I would have played exactly like you. You've tried to reach out to this guy and he brushed you off. It isn't even like he doesn't know what you look like because you said you exchanged pictures.

The balls in his court. If he want's to pretend like he doesn't know you maybe he is not all the way out of the closet and afraid to engage in conversation. Either way, its clear that you had your feelings hurt so I say ignore him. But again, I'm not that nice...

5. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Ignore. The guy stood you up, so what's the point trying to say hi to him if he's not going to make a move?

6. Ditz

Small town... That kind of jumped out at me.

I guess he is a little more nervious about things than you and chickened out. It might be for various reasons... He might not be out and still living in the closet, terrified that people might find out. He might be shy... It's easy to chat online with the anonymity that the Internet offers, but it's a totally different ball game making the jump to real life.

My gut feeling is to cut the guy some slack, break the ice and say hi. You've got nothing to loose and everything to gain. Forget about the times he chickened out in meeting you in person, that is in the past, move on and work with the present.

Just my two pennies worth.

7. Regacter

Regacter Guest

Ok fellow members- I need some advice. So I started this thread and I tried a dating app again yesterday and the same guy I bumped into at the gym texted me on the app. I had the same profile pic but I had a feeling he didn't know it was me and forgot. So I asked him his name just to check and see what he would text back- he did reply with his name and I texted it was me and I haven't heard from him in awhile And I asked how he was doing. He replied great and that he just got back from being out of the country (he didn't bring up about why he never responded to me before). We agreed to meet up this week at a public restaurant. What do I do? This is my first time going out, I've never been on like a date? Should I bring it up again why he never responded? I need some advice, I don't know really wha to do (im sweating bullets). Thanks.

8. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you are a very patient and forgiving person. But in being so, you set yourself up to be hurt. I know your options are limited, but do you want to move forward with a friendship with someone that is so inconsiderate?

If you still want to take the risk, (and given his track record there is a lot of risk he won't show) I would text him an hour or two before the date and ask him if it's still on.

If he flakes a third time, write him off.

9. aboutface

This guy sounds flakey. I don't think there's any harm in meeting him in public for dinner, but I'd just encourage you to keep your guard up and approach the whole thing with caution from an emotional perspective. I don't think you should feel obligated to bring up the previous non-response at this point unless it just comes up naturally in conversation.

As far as being nervous about a date I'm not sure what to say, just try to relax and be yourself, as cliche as that sounds.

10. Benway

Benway Guest

It's funny, your... muse (I'll use that word in this case referring to this guy) seems a lot like me when I'm on gay apps. If someone approaches me on an app and says they want to meet, I give them a place when and where and then I disappear for at least three months in real life. However, I've never once run into any of them outside of the apps, in the flesh, I mean. Weird...

11. Regacter

Regacter Guest

::sigh:: thanks members- this is difficult. Ive never been in a relationship so this is all new to me..very very new to me. I figured dating is not going to be so easy.