1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel ugly...and inferior to other gay/bi guys

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by QueerTransEnby, Nov 17, 2014.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have had body issues for some time, but it seems like it has only gotten worse even after coming out. Everyone I see on here for the most part seems to be a model. I am 31, balding, 5'11" and on the smaller side downstairs. I have put on weight since I lost my job one year ago. I battle also with dizziness, palpitations, anxiety and chronic fatigue. I just feel so naturally ugly compared to the gay/bi guys around here. No one seems to show much interest in me. I just have low self-esteem. :rolle:

2. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I used to have low self esteem about my body, till i got over how i thought i looked when next to " mr boy next door " just do you and be proud of yourself no matter what.

3. Notlad

Sometimes I pick a part my appearance till I destroy my own self-esteem. We are our own worst critics. Try to find things you do like about yourself. Keep in mind it's not always about looks and try to stay confident even though it can be very hard.

I hope things get better for you!

4. kumawool

You look perfectly attractive to me.

But that's my preference. Me finding you attractive or unattractive shouldn't influence your self esteem!

/Sagefont/ True happiness comes from within /Safefont/

Your self image has a few different lens, much like anyone's. For example, the way you view yourself, is different than other others view you. But that's the most important!

Try to view yourself as your own greatest friend and supporter.

I included some links on improving self esteem, from most to least reputable (but they're all pretty good) :slight_smile:

Self-esteem: Take steps to feel better about yourself - Mayo Clinic

6 Tips to Improve Your Self-Esteem | World of Psychology

How to Improve Your Self-Esteem: 12 Powerful Tips

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. I will look through those.

6. C P

C P

I'm sorry I don't have much in the way of advice, but I decided to stop by to say that I don't think you look bad at all. You say you have put on weight and stuff...is it something you're working on? Getting back into better shape could help you feel a bit better if you feel that that only added to dragging you down before.

As for the balding, I don't really get the deal behind it because I feel it's one of those things that is seen as unappealing but can actually be kinda cutesy(oh wow, did I just use that word? ha) on some guys.

It's a shame how so many people only care for ideal looks that nothing else matters.

I hope you can get yourself back up a bit. :king:

7. Amerigo

i used to feel like i'd die alone, but then i took comfort in the fact that some good looking people have low standards, or low self worth like myself! it has worked for me in the past :slight_smile:

though, if it's not the approval of others you seek, rather being content with the way you look yourself, i can't really offer any advice. even if i was a model i don't think i'd be happy. still going to get my nose done

8. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most people would find you a real catch

and remember "good looking" people are often shallow a-holes because they are used to everyone melting in their path

whereas genuine people like you are .. rock solid types and genuine

9. Justinian20

I used to be in a similar position in that I hated my unphysical body, I was so skinny and couldn't lift heavy objects and things like that eventually I came to accept that being a thin guy is not all that bad, I feel so many people are too concerned with the ideal body, gosh I felt like I had the ideal body, but I was annoyed that what comes with the ideal body is weakness physically. So Biguy8 I feel that you should not worry too much about your body because it is almost like your personality in a lot of respects. You are you not anyone else and your body is part of what makes you a person. So be happy with the body, you've got because at least you can move furniture and couches and things that I can't do.

10. Kaiken

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is what it is and we are who we are. I think I look to hawk nosed and hatchet-faced. I also feel very short and all of the glamour and "attractive" gay men are well over six feet tall. Play to your strengths. Beauty is just a fluke of nature that will eventually fade. We will all get old.

11. mangotree

I know it's hard not to let other people dictate your self-worth.

I'm interested to know what medium you're using to compare yourself to others in your area... is it one of those dating apps or websites? is it in real life? or at bars/clubs etc..?

For what it's worth, sometimes when I feel a bit down about "hot" guys in my area not finding me attractive, I sometimes take a trip to and go out in another city.

12. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah Ive always hated my twig thin body but being skinny has its perks I guess. Haha I wish I was hot :grin:

13. tulipinacup

All of us tend to be very critical of ourselves and I'm not saying that to say that you shouldn't have the right to have low self-esteem but we are all here to support each and everyone.

Even those you think who are good-looking also do experience feeling ugly or the wish they had broader nose, fatter, skinnier, etc.

I also battle with self-esteem issues all my life. Ever since I was a kid I've been picked on for acting "feminine", when I was on my pubescant stage, I started to gain weight and people around me commented on how it was "unhealthy" for me and once I started to lose weight as I got into my adulthood, they tell me how I'm too thin and should gain a bit of fat or muscle. It totally messed up with how I see myself.

I think that once you "accept" who you really are, there's no one that can stop you. If you really think you're no goodlooking than everyone else, do something about it and I'm not saying to drastically change but to FOCUS on SOMETHING else. Do what you are good at, take passion from it and people will see that in you and who knows, they would find interest in you as well.

David, you're not ugly at all as far as I'm concerned, I think you are one of the most gentle and kind guy here.

14. Genesman71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello guys! Am a newbie. I work out for health reasons, but getting in shape has other perks. I have always been body conscious. Did not help that I was poked fun of by classmates (long ago) because of my man boobs and smaller package. Still apprehensive, but it is getting better. I do hate all the hype about having a perfect body and yes those "hotties" are certainly good to look at times. We are all awesome, though! Personality is what really counts. Your profile pic is awesome? Do you like older men? lol! :slight_smile: