1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to figure out my beliefs

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Wolfiee, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Wolfiee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This post is probably just going to be a bit of a ramble, I just really need to get this off my chest.

So basically, I live in a very strictly religious (Christian) home, and like any person would, I've started to have doubts.

I have had quite an open mind ever since I realized I was gay. I chipped away all the things that I don't agree with in terms of what religion taught me (in regards to sexuality, gender, sex workers, marriage, abortions, sex etc..). I used to be a very close minded religious person and only stuck to the rules of the Bible and what people preached at church.

Where I see my 'faith' you might call it, I believe in evolution but I believe it was caused by a higher power, like a god/goddess, mother nature, spirit - whatever it may be. I also believe no theory, gods or beliefs can be proved or disapproved.

I wanted to start off with researching regular agnosticism and found a quote that knocked my belief in the Christian God (or how I perceive it - which I've decided to put in spoilers just in case you don't feel like reading it).

"...a God who could make good children as easily a bad, yet preferred to make bad ones; who could have made every one of them happy, yet never made a single happy one; who made them prize their bitter life, yet stingily cut it short; who gave his angels eternal happiness unearned, yet required his other children to earn it; who gave his angels painless lives, yet cursed his other children with biting miseries and maladies of mind and body; who mouths justice, and invented hell--mouths mercy, and invented hell--mouths Golden Rules and forgiveness multiplied by seventy times seven, and invented hell; who mouths morals to other people, and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, then tries to shuffle the responsibility for man's acts upon man, instead of honourably placing it where it belongs, upon himself; and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites his poor abused slave to worship him!"

But then we move on, and like I stated with believing in a higher power, I'm thinking pantheist agnostic/agnostic pantheism. I haven't really gotten into that yet because I'm still trying to figure it out.

If any of you have an idea on what this might be exactly, I'd really appreciate it.

I also posted this because I'm struggling with wanting to talk about this with my parents, but I fear that if I can't come out about my sexuality, then coming out about my doubts won't be as good for me either. I don't want any Bible thumping from my parents, I'm already expected to go to church and be the good Christian girl my parents want me to be.

PS. I don't want this to turn into some kind of controversial argument, I just need a bit of advice.

2. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm thinking you're probably pantheist of something of that sort. Or you could just say you're spiritual, but unaffiliated with any religion or deity.