1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Am So Lost On What To Do.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by willycubed28, Nov 18, 2014.

1. willycubed28

So here is what happened to me the past few days. I am going to explain so I can better get advice. I am a server for a local restaurant (not a chain). Anyway, I worked Sunday, and left and thought everything was great between me and my manager. He usually sends out the week's schedule sunday night or early Monday morning. He didn't. So I texted him for it. He didn't answer. I then went up to my job, and asked him for it. He said it would be a little while, and I asked him if he could just text me it when he could. He said "yes". I left thinking I would have my schedule that day. I woke up this morning, and he left me off the schedule for a week. He wont return any of my calls, or texts.

My other issue is when I started 4 months ago he never gave me a W4 to fill out, and yet he gave me a paycheck with taxes being taking out. I know from what I have read that it is illegal to be given a check if you haven't even yet filled out a W4 form out. I do not know what to do. Any advice?

2. kumawool

I would start looking for another job. You have your schedule for the week, so it looks like he's going to keep giving you shifts, but he seems to be a shitty manager.

This is why I have huge reservations about working for 'local' businesses, or even outside of a union. No one is really held to that high standard, which for me is infuriating and unprofessional.

3. willycubed28

No, he didn't give me any shifts this week. He left me all the entire week with no explanation or anything.

4. kumawool

Wow, okay, one of my boyfriend's bosses did that. I was secretly happy though, the stories I had heard about him...

My suggestion for getting a new job still stands. In addition, your manager is an avoider, so you'll have to talk to him in person. Threaten to report him to the labour board, AND DO SO, if he doesn't give you the shifts or anything. Many bosses will simply cease communication with employees they want gone, since firing an employee actually requires severance pay (although depending on where you live, this may not apply), so if you've money consider a lawyer.

At the end of the day, it may be easier to just get a new job. If he won't talk with you, I would report him though.

5. willycubed28

Oh I am going to get a another job, but what about my other issue. He filled out my W4 form without me being present, and that is illegal.