1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to say to a person who sends you a friend invite

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TyTy91, Nov 18, 2014.

1. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just had a guy who sent me a friend invite on facebook. I added him on facebook about an hour ago!

What should i do? Should I send him a message and introduce myself? Should I wait for him to say hi to me?

Its weird because today I sent a thread on a social anxiety forum about me wanting to know ways to send friend invites to people who I dont know. I dont know if I should send them friend invite or just talk to talk to them by sending messages first. I have social anxiety! Its weird because I was looking to meet new people and to talk to people on facebook so I can be confident in going to gay establishments and not be so terrified!
    Its kind of late what should i say to him?
    I would like to talk to him right now, because I had a friend invite before and they never talk to me they just added me and that was it and I dont want that to happen again!

2. Skov

Do you know him at all or have any mutual friends with him?

3. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    nope

---------- Post added 18th Nov 2014 at 11:38 PM ----------

I like the wendy williams show and I posted a few comments of the horrible Aaliyah movie she made on her fb page I guess he saw my comments. However the guy that sent me the friend invite also likes Wendy Williams and I saw his profile pictures and he actually took pictures with her so he met her before.

4. Blossom85

Maybe just something simple like thanks for the dad, it's nice to meet you, it doesn't need to be anything formal or big.

5. shinji

shinji Guest

I don't mean to sound insensitive, but i fail to see how one can have social anxiety when conversing with people online. Due to the nature of the medium used to converse in such a way, it is simply not logical to feel anxious about anything. That being said, i do have some pointers for you, should you chose to follow them.

First of all, it helps to assume, before everything else, that this person wishes to be your friend. They have taken the first step towards a future friendship, by sending you a friend request. Now it is your turn to return the interest displayed, by messaging them in a friendly non provocative way, making them know that it is okay if they chat with you.

Start by writing something (pick one) like these:

"Thanks for adding me, hey do you <insert one of your interests here>?"
    "Hey, i see you like <insert one of their interests here>, that's cool!"

Basically, you need to start a conversation, by talking about something that is not too serious. Do not question their reasons for adding you, or if they even know you, as that might push them away, depending on their own personality. The basic concept here is for you to make them feel, safe and confident enough, for them to talk to you openly.

At the end of the day, i highly advise that you do not overthink the situation, as is most often the case, such random friend requests are meaningless to the other person involved. Maybe they just wanted to ask you something, to see what you've posted on your wall, or simply have added you for the numbers. Either way, don't assume anything from the start.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just say thank you, or say nothing; though, if you don't interact, your posts will likely fall away from his timeline.

7. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @shinji No I dont think you're being insensitive, IDK Im just a weird guy!
    Thank You! : )