1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could finding a professional really get me to have ONE picture I like?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by C P, Nov 19, 2014.

1. C P

C P

Suppose this is kinda rhetorical, just felt like throwing this question out there because it popped in my mind after noting that I've recently strolled through friends' friends on Facebook and other sites and so I've noticed these kind of pics when I run into them(they'll usually note it was done by one). These pics tend to look really good and so it got me thinking...

Just don't know because I absolutely HATE pictures. I mean, I can scope out if some may look better than others, but I can't think of a single one that I've ever (had) taken that I actually like; hell, I'd have a bonfire with them if it wasn't for the supposed importance to others. Not just stuff such as school photos, but everyday picture taking. I guess that's another reason; I feel it should be unnecessary because you always see people just taking pictures normally, whether of friends at a party, trips, or just making stupid faces...and many seem to look decent to great naturally. I don't get it. :confused2:

Family, friends, and stuff will note that I look fine, good, w/e in them but I feel like they're smoking something because I don't agree. Have had a couple people ask if it was because - I - thought I was ugly and I'm like no; far from that(just in pics). I can note when I think I look good or nice, like in a mirror and getting ready for example, but let me try to snap a pic of the moment and it's 'wtf happened in that 1/2 a second?' Don't feel I'm photogenic at all.

Hmm...

#1 C P, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! While some are not photogenic, I wonder whether or not you are being a little bit too self-critical. If everyone around you says that you look fine on a picture or pictures, maybe try taking it in a little and see if you feel a change in how you feel about it all. :slight_smile:

3. C P

C P

Hmm...I'm not too sure honestly(?).

Like I said, everything seems fine otherwise, it's just when it is put in picture form that everything seems to shatter. I can look perfectly fine in reality but said picture(s) almost look the exact opposite; feel I look just...bleh, despite being told otherwise. :eusa_snoo

Though, admittedly, I'm not 100% that I'm answering what you're pointing out may be the case...

4. shinji

shinji Guest

Hey, "professional" here...

So, speaking from a technical point of view, everyone can be photographed in a way so as to enhance their good features, whatever they might be. There are also a lot of tricks i can go into, to enhance said features even further, but... it's somewhat irrelevant.

Some more technical stuff... In today's day and age, photos taken by cheap cameras or phones, rarely turn out good, due to abundance of in-device post processing and automatization, present in order to help people take casual pictures.

Even more technical stuff... When viewing your self on a picture, you are seeing an image of yourself, that is from a perspective that your brain is not used to seeing, so therefore it looks strange to you. On this note, you aren't exactly the best person to judge, if a picture of you looks good or not.

In conclusion, just get the opinion of someone who you trust or a complete stranger. Family is always biased, because they get to see you everyday, and are used to how you look.

5. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a similar problem, I guess, so you arent alone. I can appreciate that I look okay, or even nice, in pictures other people take of me when i dont know about it, but if I take a picture of me, or if someone else takes one of me while I'm aware of it, I feel like its the worst thing and just want to burn it, even if others say I look fine.

6. alliie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it is definitely worth remembering that everyone is their own harshest critic when it comes to pictures of themselves. I think to try and have a 'natural smile' in pictures which reaches the eyes always makes someone look good, but maybe that's just me!

7. C P

C P

Well how about I get you to take one? So you think it could do some good to consider it then?

Kinda thinking...I don't know if I'm looking just for that one pic or if it's something I'd like to feel better about in general.

I see...just don't get how even casual pictures taken by said phones, etc. tend to look good naturally for most people.

Even if I don't agree, it's not necessarily that I don't trust them, it's just that; I don't see how they feel they're any good. They probably do think I look nice in them(which, since I feel I look fine outside of the picture, probably is true).

Your thing about how our brain thinks is true I guess...just wonder why I can rank them as better/worse without liking any... :-l

Tell me about it...; those pictures where you aren't sure how you look(because you aren't paying attention) are even worse.

Natural smile? I hope you just mean what feels right, heh. My 'natural smile' is more of a slight smirk... To me, showing teeth or having a big grin seems pretty fake.

8. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

I don't know if your are anything like me, but in my case I find I look terrible in pictures if I'm aware the picture is being taken. The very few times when someone has taken a picture of me without me noticing (or taken me by surprise) and later show it to me (or tag me) I tend to like 'em a hell of a lot more than the sorry excuses of a portrait that come out of me trying to make a conscious effort to look good. Candid photography is the way to go man, just let 'em creep on ya.

9. C P

C P

Nah, I find the ones where I'm aware to look better. Even if not much better I'd actually rather try to make an effort to look better, although it is to no avail apparently, heh. .-.

I guess it would depend on what was going on at the time, so there might be a few exceptions.