1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medical Tips/Advice?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by JakeHas, Nov 20, 2014.

1. JakeHas

Hey everyone! So lately I've had a cough that seems to be growing worse. It's gotten to the point where I have to leave the classroom because my coughing, but that's not the only issue. My nose has been very runny and stuffed. It's been a long time since both nostrils were unplugged it seems. This all seems to be occuring at it's worst in the mornings. I will wake up and I'll be so congested, both nostrils plugged, and I'll be coughing a lot. Not to be gross, but it seems like a lot of mucus build up over night. I tried musinex but it didn't help at all.

How can I start fixing some of this? Should I get typical allergy medicine or what?

Thanks!!

2. Pleione

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I suggest seeing a doctor? (*hug*)

Asking for medical advice on a message board seems like a terrible idea to me.

3. photoguy93

While I do think you're right, healthcare is a very different beast in the U.S.

Also, I always look online in hopes of trying to understand what's happening before I see the doctor.

OP - It seems like you could have allergies. Have you had any past history of allergies or anything similar to this?
    Either way, I'd consider going to the doctor since its altering your quality of life. Can you see one?

4. JakeHas

Haha yeah I understand the whole internet and looking for medical advice on it, I was just hoping to get some ideas what it could be before blindlessly walking to a doctor about it, and if it's something I could pretty much treated at home.

5. Skov

It sounds like it could be a sinus infection. If your snot is yellowish-green, your sinuses are probably infected. Depending on the nature of the infection (viral/bacterial) you may need antibiotics. Most clear up on their own though.

It also could just be a viral infection. Those are pretty common this time of year. I had an infection about two months ago that started just in my sinuses. Eventually, it developed into a cycle which lasted almost two weeks. I would wake up in the morning congested, and throughout the day I would develop a cough that got worse as the day went on.

Either way, you should see your doctor if it's been bothering you for a while. You want to be sure that you aren't developing pneumonia (which would be serious). Your doctor also could prescribe a prescription cough suppressant if your cough is bothering you.

6. I am Kakashi

I think the Physical and Sexual health board may be better :slight_smile: But since I'm already posting, if it's very bad at night, but gets better during the day, it is probably either an allergen in your room, not enough pillows so your mucus/ phlegm "backs up" into your head, or a humidity issue.