1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Releasing the energy released by crying but without actually crying?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Benway, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Benway

Benway Guest

I'm pretty down right now, a lot on my mind. I'm at a friend's house, in the guest room and about a half hour ago I was so down I was on the verge of tears-- but I didn't shed any. They seemed to go down the back of my throat and I swallowed them... I feel a bit better, but I'm not sure if I was somehow crying without crying, is that possible? Like, I feel like the dopamine or whatever's released when crying was released without tears or sobbing. It can't be healthy to hold it in like this, I know, I know, but I do-- my question is it possible? Does anyone have any input?

2. QueHaPasado

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have no scientific proof of this, but sometimes, when I have been feeling extremely tense to the point of shaking, I have had an extremely sudden calm come over me for about ten seconds, then the tension begins to rebuild again. It could be that this happened to you, but the sadness did not return afterwards. It is definitely not healthy, though. It may have been your body taking measures against potentially overwhelming emotion.

But yeah, someone with more biology knowledge should come in here and give some real science.

3. Benway

Benway Guest

Well, I've been holding it back for so long and the Fluoxetine makes it very difficult to cry, physically, I mean. As for physical effects, it's like there's a heavy fog around my head from three to ten seconds, it makes me feel deeply sad and then I need to sit down because I'm suddenly out of breath, or I'm dizzy from how depressed I am.

It also can manifest as extreme pain in my back, if that's worth anything.

4. klix

You shouldn't hold it back, crying is natural, and really important in dealing with depression at least I find it really helps to get it out.

5. Benway

Benway Guest

Be that as it may, I don't want to attract unnecessary attention. Also, it's difficult to physically cry due to my medication-- which makes it extremely difficult to shed a tear in the first place. I haven't broken down crying in over two years and that was over the death of my Grandfather.

Now last night while I was on the verge of tears, none manifested, however I felt something salty running down the back of my throat and my nose was damp almost to the point of running and I was extremely depressed, however I didn't actually cry. But when this feeling dispersed (which took about an hour, maybe an hour and a half) I felt fine, better in fact, the way one might feel after crying.

So in a sense, I was crying, but I've internalized my feelings to much that it's like I've exerted the necessary energy without going through the crying fit itself. I tried looking this up on the internet, but all it resulted in were song lyrics and sappy old LiveJournal entries written in the mid aughts. I'm not sure if there's even a name for this phenomenon but if there is I'd like to tell my doctor about it using the right term as to avoid the confusion I've presented hitherto.