1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My coworker stinks

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by stocking, Nov 22, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So there's this guy I work with and he smells awful , it's so bad sometimes the smell still stays after he left . The other co workers makes fun of him and even one guy says he doesn't take baths they know each other since high school . He also has a running joke where he would ask others if they think let's call the coworker with the bad smell Alan . Okay well the running joke is that he will ask do you think Alan takes baths . The bosses also have commented on him but have not told him that he stinks .
    I feel kinda sorry for Alan that people are making fun of him but he smells awful he's a nice guy besides that and good person .
    I don't want to tell him he stinks ,because I don't want to hurt his feelings but what should I do ?:confused:

#1 stocking, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  2. kumawool

Perhaps you could politely say one day when it seems that everyone is sweating/working hard in particular, "I feel so gross, everyone smells really bad right now, no offense haha, I'm taking a shower when I get home!".

One of my managers smells like poop sometimes (actual poop), and someone there that is rather mean told him so! Now he smells like shower soap all the time. Personally I wouldn't have said anything, just because you never know what kind of condition a person has. But in this case it worked!

So that's an option too!

3. I am Kakashi

I would say take it to management, and ask them to please tell him. Depending on your type of job, if it's an office job, the HR person might also be someone to talk to as well. It is distracting, and most likely unsanitary. I would let the upper guys take care of it.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It's a difficult situation and conversation to have, but kumawool has the right idea.

Depending on how comfortable you feel with it, but you could try going for a coffee with him after work, and speak with him. Try to be really nice about it, and say you would like to make him aware of it, just so that he knows.

Plus, there is always a chance that something might be going on that could cause the smell. For example, a lot of the times, and which is quite common, when people are under a lot of stress, or nervous, they will start sweating. You could even try asking him, if everything is okay, or how he is doing generally before saying anything. The answer might give you a way into the conversation.

5. seeking

For some reason to first thing that popped in my head is depression. I would just let him know, i feel if i was smelling i would like to be told. So i can be more conscious to wash up or wear perfume, maybe wash my clothes more frequent.

I would just be like "I want to let you know people are talking bad about you behind your back. They keep saying that you don't smell fresh." I don't think that is too blunt nor rude. Obviously do this when he is about to leave work or take him out for coffee and talk to him them. I wouldn't tell him infront of all his coworkers.

Only advice i have is to tell him, i think he would respect you more for letting him know than to let him continue to look bad infront of others.