1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like my life has stopped moving forward

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kobayashimaru, Nov 23, 2014.

1. kobayashimaru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

I'm new here. I figured I'd join to ask this because among everything else involved, my sexuality does play into things.

Here's the gist of things.

I'm a 25 year old gay man living in New Jersey. My family and friends are all loving and supportive so at least that is not an issue.
    Heredity (I suppose) has given me the perfecta of mental illness with Bipolar disorder from my Mom (10 years to get a final diagnosis) and generalized anxiety disorder from my Dad.
    Due to being misdiagnosed through High School, I barely graduated and my high aspirations of getting into a good college were trashed. I decided to try out community college several times, but failed miserably every time. Now at 25 I'm working a dead end, part time job at Pepboys with no hope of advancement. I'm still living with my parents because I'm only making $700 a month. I have potentially marketable skills, but none are sufficiently advanced enough to get me a job in a field. I would try to advance them, but I just see the same thing happening as when I went through community college.

Basically, I just feel hopeless. I know that most people would that this as clinical depression and to pop some Prozac, but what is medication going to help when life just sucks? In the past year, I have lost both of my remaining grandparents (grandmothers), one of whom I was extremely close to. I was kicked out of a volunteer organization I've been apart of for 10 years because I had a bipolar episode due to a medication screwup. My best friend is moving to North Carolina. To top it all off, my parents are losing our house and we have to move into my grandmother's where I will be sleeping in the living room.

Lastly, I'm alone. I want someone to share my life with. I want a family. But, first, I don't know where to start, and I kinda don't want to submit someone to all the drama that is my life. I've hooked up with guys for sex, but it always feels wrong in the end. I don't mean to be judgmental, but I've always seen guys who live their lives hookup after hookup to be lower somehow than those that settle down. Once or twice it was high risk because of "in the heat of the moment," not to mention bipolar mania. I haven't ever had an HIV test because I'm afraid of the result. I know its manageable and not a death sentence, but its still a cross to bear.

I suppose part of my issues with meeting people has to do with my body image. I'm 6 foot tall, 360 pounds. I hate the fact that I'm fat, and I've tried to lose it, but short of surgery (which I really want but can't afford) I can't get rid of it. There's also my teeth, which due to years of deep depression and my not caring for myself correctly have become so screwed up with cavities and decay that they would need thousands in work to make them presentable.

I just don't know what to do. I feel live my life has stopped advancing, and that I'm stuck at 25 in a dead end job, living with my parents, and alone for the rest of my life. I know for some people this might seem irrational, but I don't. Can anyone see something I am missing? I really hope there is...

Thanks
    Joe

2. seeking

I suffer from depression and many anxiety disorders. They first thought i was bipolar, but my doctor began to doubt it and so did i. I believe they feel it is my anxiety disorders that came off like i was having mania. I had a really bad depressive anxiety episode for like a year... I had to drop two courses, get on heavy meds, and go to therapy once a week...then the IOP.

My only advice is know your limits. Also having one goal each day. It may take you longer to graduate, but at least you graduate. So maybe you can only take on one to two classes on a semester that is better than nothing.

My only advice i baby steps, going to therapy weekly, and stay vigilant on your medicine and symptoms.

A lot of meds that are for bipolar are also weigh gainers. So i wouldn't blame yourself for the weigh gain, it is most likely because of meds, but i wouldn't stop your meds either.
    Not every person likes someone who is skinny...so if that is part of your weight hatred, honestly not a valid hate. There are many who like someone with meat rather someone who is very skinny or overly muscular.

I hope this helped a little, but take baby steps. Don't think that you can take 4-5 courses a semester as well as work and the stress not trigger a manic episode, depressive episode, or anxiety.

*also a lot of people your age had to move back in with family or get roomates, so not many people your age with a big house, a great job, and not needing anyone to lean on*

Also get HIV tested, you are putting other people at risk.

#2 seeking, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014