1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(TW: Suicide and hate speech) What can we do to stop this??

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by I am Kakashi, Nov 23, 2014.

1. I am Kakashi

http://www.transviolencetracker.org...ses/112-haters-plan-to-trigger-trans-suicides

So for the TL;DR or "I don't click links because viruses" etc crowd, essentially 4chan's new riot and hate-inducing idea is to target trans people and push them to suicide.

Just tonight, I have seen 2 new suicide outreach posts, and if that wasn't scary enough, basically I feel like these jerk-offs are going to pose as members, and just post super terrible stuff to those who are already having trouble.

I know if something of that manner was posted, it would be removed and that account would be immediately banned, but you people know how 4chan crap like this goes down. I've seen it happen on Gaia Online a number of times. You get literally HUNDREDS of people doing that. Or worse, they actually hack into servers and websites and change things, get people's personal info, track IPs. They could take this to the extreme if they wanted to.

It may seem like I'm over-acting, and if we just ignore them, they will go away. But having much more personal interaction with /b/ than I would like to admit, these little jerk-offs can be brutal, and terrorize whatever target they lock on to. If they don't get any media attention, they will scale it up and up until people HAVE to pay attention.

So, my friend thinks we should all ask Anonymous for help. But Anon is entangled in 4chan, and this is social and nothing is to be gained politically from stopping this. Plus Anon is not our personal army. So does anyone have any thoughts or ideas, without putting us directly into harm's way?

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2014 at 12:45 AM ----------

Addition: I guess more specifically they are targeting people on tumblr: 4chan users plan to trigger trans suicides

Still, stuff doesn't stay on tumblr long. If it goes viral, it'll be on every social media site. Any ideas besides awareness?

2. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

I've been seeing a lot of suicide out reaches, they're like nazis. All this suicide is a sad waste of human life, more needs to be done to combat suicide.

3. FrenchKid98

DDoS on 4chan site so they can't organize their attacks? I mean violence, even virtual, is no way to react but sometimes it might be the only solution...?

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2014 at 09:58 PM ----------

I don't know if it would be a good idea but this really fucking pisses me off.
    I'm all for free speech but there needs to be limits and inciting hatred is not permitted and doesn't fall in free speech.

4. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best thing we can do is ignore them. They seem to be a very unhappy bunch, and stooping to their level would only excite them further. As for "freedom of speech", this falls under the category of hate speech, unfortunately this is the internet and tracking them down is not going to happen. We just have to accept that we live in a world like this, where people feel so bad they have to do things like this against other human beings to feel better for a minute. I hope they will find peace with themselves soon, and strive to make the world a happier place instead.

Edit: This may help those who don't know how to deal with it:
    How to Take Things People Say Less Personally

This also (and most of that website in general):
    How to Overcome Anger

#4 HappyGirlLucky, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  5. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

But this isn't just hate speech, they're planing murder. Only they're trying to get people to commit suicide, and specifically targeting transsexuals this could be considered genocide. I have seen lives destroyed by suicide and this is just evil!

6. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    Some people can't really ignore it. A while ago 4chan did something similar on Tumblr and caused quite a few people to commit suicide. They were intentionally doing things that they knew would trigger each specific person. It NEEDS to be stopped somehow...

7. SpaceJayce

Is there anything we can do besides raise awareness and reach out to those who have affected by 4chan's hate speeches? To stoop to their level and/or attack them would be the response they'd be looking for.

8. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish it could be stopped, but there is no way to do it. These people have decided to take their anger at society out on trans* people this time, if it weren't us it would be someone else. I don't believe any one life is worth more than another. There will be suicides almost certainly, the best thing we can do is show those at risk all the love we can, teach them to deal with ignorant and hateful people and maybe they will come out stronger and live a more fruitful life for it. Retaliation is not the answer here.

Edit: If you personally know anyone who visits 4Chan, talk to them about it, maybe you can stop one person from joining in out of sheer ignorance.

#8 HappyGirlLucky, Nov 24, 2014
  9. FrenchKid98

I agree with Clancularius, what they are doing is basically murder and it cannot be ignored.

As for going at their level, it's not the best option but I don't see a lot of better ones. Taking justice into your own hands is not something that should be done but we know that they will never get in trouble for their actions and it NEEDS to be stopped.

Edit: In the past, Anon has doxed (getting people's personal info for publishing or reporting to authorities) people who did bad stuff online to whoever Anon wanted to defend so maybe if we can get a group of Anon on our side, this would be useful retaliation

#9 FrenchKid98, Nov 24, 2014
  10. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

4chan are nazis, this is something that cannot be ignored. Suicide rates are rising, this is disturbing. But to make it even worse we have evil people like 4chan trying to cause even more suicide. Suicide is not only rising amount lgbt people it's also the 2nd leading cause of death amount teenagers in America. There is also a estimated 22 veterans that kill themselves everyday. People need to take action to stop suicide.

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2014 at 06:00 PM ----------

They asked for a war(although they probably didn't mean it literally), so let's give them one. I mean they said things like " gas the trannies", this is something that can not be tolerated. These people are no better then murderers, except they are in some ways worse.

11. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

Message me if you are interested in stopping 4chan, and trying to raise awareness of suicide.

12. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

This is this just rotten.

13. shinji

shinji Guest

Two thoughts on this:

1. Why is anyone actually taking this seriously? As far as i can remember, 4chan was never anything more than a cesspool of trolls, comprising of either old perverts or young children, with too much time on their hands. It's one of those places that should exist in the deep web, but somehow managed to swim to the surface.

2. I would think, hope even... That people aren't so fragile, as to take offense by something so stupid and immature.

14. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

The reason people take this seriously, is similar to if you say you have a bomb/gun at on a airplane. Although you may be joking saying you have a gun/bomb is still a threat that should be taken seriously, 4chan Is saying they are going to try to cause mass suicide. If it turns out they aren't serious then at least we were ready to help people affected, because if the opposite was true then there could have been a few suicides.

15. antibinary

4chan is stupid. Never been on it, I was forwarned.

16. FrenchKid98

Okay so as discussed with Clancularius, I've contacted a couple of big LGBT and LGBT friendly news sites. For now, I've contacted:
    -LGBTQ Nation
    -Gay Star News
    -PinkNews
    -HuffPost (gay voices section)

The message I (wrote and) sent was along those lines:

17. FrenchKid98

So I haven't heard back from any of the sites so if you guys could contact them as well that'd be great. You can also contact other sites if you know of any.

18. FrenchKid98

For anyone interested, I got a reply from PinkNews: